canister filters and nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm new to canister filters. Setting mine up this weekend. I've read a lot of things about them and one thing that bothers me is a lot of comments refer to them as "nitrate factories" Is this true? Do canister filters produce more nitrates than hob filters? Do I need to clean them more often to keep this from happening. Is any media I can put in the filter to help?

I have never heard of canister filters to add to the nitrates of a tank...just clean them once a month at least and you should be fine. For a non-planted tank, I would put in some filter sponge, polishing pads, filter floss, etc., ceramic rings, carbon and some bio balls. For planted tanks with DW, etc i would put in the polishing pads, etc., purigen, ceramic rings, and bio balls. No carbon. I prefer canister over HOB filters, just because they can hold more than HOBs can and most canisters just filter better than HOBs do IMO.

Well canisters like any other filter need ammos and nitrites to make nitrate which is 100times better than seeing the other 2 in your tank. If nitrates get high, up your % of water changes.

I have Fluval 406 on 40g planted tank. I have very high nitrates which require 50% WC every 7 days. Filter goes bottom to Top - 4 sponges, 2 trays Matrix with De*Nitrate, 2 ammonia pads, 1 Clear FxPro, and Purigen I clean and swish sponges once month (pretty gross) and change Purigen Put back together and add Stability

I've got a Fluval FX5 on a 150 gal planted tank. Filled all three baskets with bio media and generally put a filtering micro pad. Cleaning the filter somewhere between 3-6 months.
50% PWC weekly. Don't test the water that much anymore unless fish start acting funny (flashing or darting). Keeping clean water really keeps the fish healthy.

Back
Top Bottom