Canister filters... Which ones are quiet.. and dont leak ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like the Sunsun 302 is 15.5" inches tall and the hoses come out at an angle, which sounds like it would work better for me... The cabinet has a little cubby above the closed in area but below the tank that I could maybe drill a hole for the hoses, too.

I have the 205, 306, and 406 units. Including the intake and discharge hoses they measure 12-1/2", 16", and 20" accordingly. The FX6 model measures 22" tall without the hoses and 17" or 18" wide including the pump. You only need about an inch to remove and reseat the top/motor of those models mentioned but you also need some area inside to set the head down since the hoses stay attached to the unit.

Canister units will do NOTHING to control any water parameter spikes. The only way to control those are thru excellent husbandry, proper selection of compatible species and NOT overstocking tanks. (Although that's not related to your question, I just thought I'd supply those we'll known facts for others.)

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Yea my tank the pentagon is 9 inches wide.. max for the stand.. I wouldn't be able to fit a FX6 through the door.. or the back just measured the back 18 inches too wide.. Those HUGE filters would only fit in a long tank..

Btw does anyone have the eheim 2217 can you please measure how wide it is ? I don't want to buy it to only find out it too wont fit in the tank.. And if a canister cant help ammonia spikes.. then what is the point of having one with such huge bio media room vs a HOB filter or internal.. The internal is unsightly.. but a HOB you cant see unless you look behind the tank.. So im a bit confused now. My two top fin internal 40's have about the same mechanical padding room as a duel HOB filter.. and a separate chamber where I can fit about a normal coke can size of bio media like matrix or ceramic rings... Hense why in my opinion it has more media then any HOB could have.. But compared to a canister its a laughin stock.. And since I have measurable ammonia in the tank .25ppm often.. I am assuming that these filters I have just aren't good enough for the tank.. Hense why I wanted to go to a canister.. not just to free up room in the tank itself

Yea my tank the pentagon is 9 inches wide.. max for the stand.. I wouldn't be able to fit a FX6 through the door.. or the back just measured the back 18 inches too wide.. Those HUGE filters would only fit in a long tank..

Btw does anyone have the eheim 2217 can you please measure how wide it is ? I don't want to buy it to only find out it too wont fit in the tank.. And if a canister cant help ammonia spikes.. then what is the point of having one with such huge bio media room vs a HOB filter or internal.. The internal is unsightly.. but a HOB you cant see unless you look behind the tank.. So im a bit confused now.

Ammonia spikes?? Need to cycle that tank bruh...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is cycled.. bruhh been running for around 4 months..

Put a 20g filter in a 75g tank with 40 fish and you too will have ammonia spikes

So... why the ammonia spikes?? A proper bio filter would not allow ammonia to register.

Might be because im feeding too much and the filters I have cant handle the bio load.. I have discus remember.. I feed 2-3 times a day with 2 different types of food.. I gravel vac and change the water every 2 days...

Generally speaking that would indicate over stocking..

prior to me putting the 25 neons in I had the same issue.. and 6 discus that are 2-3 inches is hardly overstocking.. Anyway, im not arguing over this..

does anyone have a 2217 eheim that can measure how wide it is please

Science doesn't lie.. Nowhere for argument.. not my tank..

Well the FX6 is nearly $400.. lol I may have 1k$ on me.. but that's a bit much.. and my pentagons door is only so big.. Unlike a 30-40-55g long tank where you can fit a person through the doors.. I only have roughly 8-9 inches to get something inside the stand. and an FX6 looks a lot bigger then that..

Where do you guys purchase the eheim 2217 ? Im looking on amazon and I don't see it.. I only see the 2215-2213 and 2211..

Another reason I want a canister is not only to take out the 2 internals I have.. even though I love them don't get me wrong.. with 6 discus, 2 cory, red tail shark, 2 plecos and 26 neon/cardinals, 6 black neons.. And feeding 2-3x a day.. I noticed I get mini spikes of ammonia in the water.. The 2 internals despite having more media room then most HOB's cant handle the bio load my tank is putting out.. I actually had to take a few fish out and reduce feedings to stop the ammonia spikes.

Can a 2217 handle a 50g tank with this many fish and feeding ?

edit: So I am reading eheims are made in china now.. im reading a lot of bad reviews of the eheims.. people say stores no longer carry them anymore due to returns and the filters being noisy and stuff... Is this true ? even a local fish store told me to get a fluval.. that eheim they stopped carrying because the quality is bad due to the made in china versions

This post says you have 40 fish in an unstated size tank but wondering if it will handle a 50g. If it is indeed a 50g, you're overstocked with the 6 Discus in a 50 as a few have pointed out 10g/Discus. Now throw in the 2 Pleco poop factories and it pushes the envelope further. Never mind the others.

Btw does anyone have the eheim 2217 can you please measure how wide it is ? I don't want to buy it to only find out it too wont fit in the tank.. And if a canister cant help ammonia spikes.. then what is the point of having one with such huge bio media room vs a HOB filter or internal.. The internal is unsightly.. but a HOB you cant see unless you look behind the tank.. So im a bit confused now. My two top fin internal 40's have about the same mechanical padding room as a duel HOB filter.. and a separate chamber where I can fit about a normal coke can size of bio media like matrix or ceramic rings... Hense why in my opinion it has more media then any HOB could have.. But compared to a canister its a laughin stock.. And since I have measurable ammonia in the tank .25ppm often.. I am assuming that these filters I have just aren't good enough for the tank.. Hense why I wanted to go to a canister.. not just to free up room in the tank itself

As I stated before, water parameter spikes are controlled thru excellent husbandry, proper species matching, and NOT overstocking. Also, adding 10 more fish (as you listed in another thread) all at once (in an already overstocked tank) is a big no no.

Might be because im feeding too much and the filters I have cant handle the bio load.. I have discus remember.. I feed 2-3 times a day with 2 different types of food.. I gravel vac and change the water every 2 days...

If your feeding 2-3 times a day and only WC's every 2 days, it's simply not enough. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it all comes down to excellent husbandry. You've said before you're gonna do it your way and make it work and I said there's no "rewriting the book". Here's the proof.

So... why the ammonia spikes?? A proper bio filter would not allow ammonia to register.

Along with proper husbandry and not adding 10 fish (regardless of size) in an overstocked tank.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

10 neons the size of my pinky nail hardly does anything to a tank this size.. And I had the ammonia spikes prior to them anyway.. As for the pleco's and cory's I have been debating taking them out of the tank as well as the black neons so I hear you on having too many fish. I don't like those fish after having them.. Goin to put them in my other tanks, Once I do that the tank will only have 25 neons and 6 discus.. Every 2 days is all I can do with my schedule.

I ordered the eheim 2217.. Found measurements its 9.25 inches wide.. my stands door is 9.5 lol so I hope those 9.25 are correctly measurements..

Eheim Classic takes great care of my turtle tank and it has never been a problem

I have a Rena filstar XP2 that is quieter than the timer for my lights.

It's been running for almost a year with no issues on a fresh impeller, seals, and media.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

10 neons the size of my pinky nail hardly does anything to a tank this size.. And I had the ammonia spikes prior to them anyway.. As for the pleco's and cory's I have been debating taking them out of the tank as well as the black neons so I hear you on having too many fish. I don't like those fish after having them.. Goin to put them in my other tanks, Once I do that the tank will only have 25 neons and 6 discus.. Every 2 days is all I can do with my schedule.

I ordered the eheim 2217.. Found measurements its 9.25 inches wide.. my stands door is 9.5 lol so I hope those 9.25 are correctly measurements..

That is a good filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 55 gallon planted tank and want to know which canister filter to get what would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I vote for eheim. I also use a prefilter sponge on my canisters.

Surfnturf
img_3138758_0_d852cf44d31437630f21c54efdb339b5.jpg

2 discus
1 dwarf gourami
1 german blue ram
2 golden wonder killifish
4 harlequin rasboras
5 corydoras
And a bunch of plants in a 20 long
Eheim 2213 and tom aquatics canister filters
Finnex planted plus

Eheim classic.. Simple and easy to maintain also a well proven service record ;-D

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a cascade 1000 and it's very quiet once it's filled up and going. Pretty easy to take apart and clean if you know what you are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fluval 306. I have one on my 29 gallon and I love it. I only know its working because of the surface disturbance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom