Canister or HOB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kharrnn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a well established 20g heavily planted community tank. The first filter I had was a Penguin 200 (I think it was the 200). The bio-wheel was having issues spinning and the water was not going through the filter housing effectively causing a lot of the water to spill back into the tank from the intake area.

Several months ago I purchased an Aquaclear 70. It worked great for a few months, and I loved it. It was quieter, had better water flow, and was easier to clean. However, lately whenever the power is unplugged, or I lose power for whatever reason, the motor does not start up again. I am priming the filter as it said to do in the instructions, but when I plug it back in, the motor doesn't spin. It'll get warm so I know it's getting power.

About 18 months ago I had plans to start a 40g breeder tank. In my preparation I found a Fluval 305 canister in fantastic condition. I researched canisters and found Fluval to be the best economic choice for me. About a month after I bought it, my ideas of setting up a 40g evaporated due to moving and other factors.

So now I'm thinking about replacing the Aquaclear with the Fluval. I realize that the Fluval is way more filter than I need, but from what I have read about it, the reliability is much better. What do you think? If I keep the Aquaclear, how can I fix the problems?

If I use the Fluval, how can I reduce the water flow rate so my fish don't get flung around?

Both are excellent filter and either would do the job perfectly, although I think the 306 maybe too much. If it was me I would try and clean the Aquaclear. Remove the motor from the filter unit(after emptying it of course!!). Remove the impella and give it a good rinse under hot water. You may need a q-tip to get into the small parts. Give the shaft and surrounding area a good cleaning too. This is usually the main cause of the motors not restarting, gunk. While you have the motor separated from the unit, plug it in very briefly, a few times to make sure it restarts.
The Fluval, although I don't own one, I know are a great filter. Very popular around these parts. I don't know for certain with this one but I know with most canisters, you can slow the flow using the taps. In the FX5, you can slow the flow by 50% but Fluval recommend not by any more. I assume it's the same with the 306 but you should research it more or someone else will chip in and let you know.

Thank you for your response.

I have cleaned it out, many times. I've used compressed air to blow out anything in the motor assembly as well.

The way the motor has worked for me since I got it is it won't start at all if there is no water in it so plugging it in a few times won't do anything.

So, I think your 305 would be overkill. But, you can usually turn down the flow on canisters really easily by turning the knobs and the intake and out going tubes. However, it is arguable that turning down the flow that much probably isn't the best for the long term life of your motor.
As for your Aquaclear, have you tried cleaning off your propeller and its reachable components? Sometimes that helps. Honestly though, often time it does not. I have definitely had HOB filters poop out on me before. Have you tried setting up the canister and turning down the flow and seeing what happens? You can always experiment a little. once when I was switching filters and was unsure how it would go, I just netted all the fish out and put them in a bucket with an air stone for like half an hour while I tried out the new filter to see if it would work.
That is the best aid I can really give. Hopefully somebody else with more experience in this exact filter will be able to help you out better. :)

ETA: whoops. I left the window open for way long while distracted and did not see the other posts when I hit the send button. Anyways, I still vote that you can always test out the canister. You coudl even try testing it ina large rubbermaid to see if you think you could adjust the flow properly. Alternate option: re-sell the canister and use the money to get a smaller canister.

Last edited:
Most canisters have a flow rate control knob on the spray bar. As for the AC some times I have trouble with one of mine. I usually remove the motor from the plastic leave it plugged in while doing this. Push the propeller with your finger until it start going put it back on the plastic filter. Fill it up and it should work fine until the next cleaning of the filter in which you should restart the steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom