canisterfilter tray- what to put in place of carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram_g0p

Aquarium Advice Regular
Running a Fluval 206 canister and an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 HOB in my 25 gal. I am looking for suggestions for media to put in the tray that has actvd carbon now. Also, on the HOB I pulled the carbon out and put in filter floss recently. All this because, I have been reading how carbon is not that necessary and that it needs to be replaced every couple of weeks etc…
I am planning to clean my canister every 4 months (lazy!). Is that OK? What’s a good agreeable schedule? And what’s a good filter media alternative for the canister carbon tray that would last few months or more? I have purchased Purigen bag, but I haven’t used it yet. Other trays in the canister have ceramic rings and foam.
I had been replacing carbon in my HOB once a month. Any suggestions for the HOB – in addition to fliter floss?
To clarify, the canister was added recently less than 2 months ago…
BTW, I do PWC every week about 20%. My tank is moderately planted.
Thanks in advance.

I keep floss in my canister as well. Stop wasting your money in carbon. Its useless unless you need to remove a medicine you've added.

I bought PolyFil polyester quilt matting from Walmart. Is this similar to the floss you're referring to? I remember reading somewhere they're similar (if not same) material. I want stop using carbon too. I bought Purigen and I think I shouldn't have. Not a smart decision, done in haste. May be I could use it whenever there is ammonia spike etc (god forbid). Or when I'm on somewhat longer trip - as a precautionary measure. I've read Purigen may have adverse effect on plant nutrients and ever since I hesitate to use this stuff. Thanks for your advice.

Its the same thing. If you ever add nutrients to the tank for your plants, the carbon will remove it. Before the plants will use it.

How about Purigen? Will it remove nurients as well? I was told it's more selective, unlike carbon, and wouldn't remove ferts......

Back
Top Bottom