canisters and clean walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a hob cascade 300 on my 75 gal.
i water change weekley and always have to clean a bit of haze from the tank walls,
i understand the better benifits on lower nitrates because i also have 40+ on the nitrates with purfect perameters everyware else,
will a compitent canister filter help with the hazy tank walls?

If you have 40+ nitrates, you need to change a larger amount of water, or do it more often. Adding a bigger filter or cannister won't negate the need for water changes.

Can you tell us a little bit about your setup IG. stock, decorations, ect. The thing is, adding another filter may not help the way you think it will help. You add food into your aquarium, fish eat the food, food comes out as ammonia and waste, filter sucks it up, but it still breaks down in the filter raising your nitrates. IMO you can never over filtrate unless it is turning you water violently. But a filter can still become a nitrate factory.

You would benefit yourself by researching how the breakdown occurs from ammonia and nitrite and eventually into nitrate. Because there is no reason why your nitrates should be 40. IMO you need to be doing 50-60% daily water changes until this is down and consider your stock and feeding habits.

The film on the wall is problably normal. However, it could be a start of a bacteria bloom which is not normal of good. Have any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom