canned vegetables...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you feed fish canned vegetables?

what are the best vegetables for Freshwater community fish and what is best for fancy goldfish?

ehh, its sketchy. You don't really know whats going into that food in the factories overseas somewhere lol. I'd feed them fresh frozen vegetables. Peas are good for the digestive system.

ehh, its sketchy. You don't really know whats going into that food in the factories overseas somewhere lol. I'd feed them fresh frozen vegetables. Peas are good for the digestive system.

so by fresh frozen do you mean freeze them yourself after buying them in the fresh produce section, or, peas in the bag in the frozen section?

Hi! No canned veggies- too much salt & most contain preservatives. Fresh cooked or frozen cooked. I love the bags of instant-steam ones- throw it the micro for a few mins & dump into a tupperware container & they will last in fridge almost a week. For the goldies, deshelled peas, broccoli florets, spinach, & zucchini are my staples but I will also feed them most veggies I make for dinner (aspargus heads, soft carrots, green or red peppers, turnip greens, broccoli rabe, etc). No heavy starches (potatoes) or spicy stuff (onions, hot peppers) and everything needs to be cooked enough that its tender & easily ripped apart or mashed into bits before feeding. Nori (seaweed) is another good, healthy option, too. I also give them occasional fruits as well (jarred tangerine segments in juice, watermelon, strawberry, other melons, etc). Good luck with your guys! :)

so by fresh frozen do you mean freeze them yourself after buying them in the fresh produce section, or, peas in the bag in the frozen section?

No like peas in the bag in the frozen section, but you can freeze fresh veggies yourself.

I use canned green beans all the time, no problems. They don't contain preservatives, and the salt is actually in the water they're packed in (unless you buy salt-free) so draining the water eliminates nearly all the salt.

Canned green beans contain 370mg of sodium per 1/2 cup serving; lower sodium cans still have over 200mg of sodium per 1/2 cup serving. Fresh cooked green beans contain less than 2mg per 1/2 cup serving. Fancy goldfish already are genetically-prone to digestive & swim bladder issues and do not need to fed heavy doses of sodium in their diet from canned veggies. This will only serve to create further issues for them in respect to metabolism, renal function, and overall health.

There might be some organic, all natural canned veggies out there or maybe try a farmer's market so you could ask the canner yourself. But, just regular stuff off of a normal grocery section shelf, I wouldn't. As said before, it's all the salt and sugar that's packed in there that I wouldn't trust.

Hmm well I don't like to feed the family canned foods because of BPA...wouldn't want to give it to the fish either. Go frozen! ;)

i went to the grocery store and bought a giant bag of frozen peas, some broccoli, and a cucumber.

I boiled some peas in the microwave... fed some to all my tanks, i did 2 rounds. 1st round i deshelled them, 2nd round i just squished them and they went just as fast both times.

is this a big reason why they need to be deshelled?

i went to the grocery store and bought a giant bag of frozen peas, some broccoli, and a cucumber.

I boiled some peas in the microwave... fed some to all my tanks, i did 2 rounds. 1st round i deshelled them, 2nd round i just squished them and they went just as fast both times.

is this a big reason why they need to be deshelled?

The shell is not easily digested & can pose choking or blockage/constipation issues. Good job getting them some veggies!!!! As you can see, they really do like to eat them! :)

Yep!! The carrots you will have to mash into bite-sized bits & the cauliflower they should be able to rip bits off flower part as long as its soft. Good work feeding these guys veggies! If you have a garlic press, you can put a piece of carrot in it & squeeze out the bits. The press works good for other veggies too. :)

jlk said:
Yep!! The carrots you will have to mash into bite-sized bits & the cauliflower they should be able to rip bits off flower part as long as its soft. Good work feeding these guys veggies! If you have a garlic press, you can put a piece of carrot in it & squeeze out the bits. The press works good for other veggies too. :)

I'm so excited lol.

are there certain things I can feed my fancy gold fish(Moor and telescope) that I can't feed my tropical community fish? or maybe things that I can't feed them

I dont keep tropicals, but I dont see why you wouldnt be able to feed them veggies as well. Most fish food contains vegetative matter & fresh is always healthier. Unless your keeping some sort of carnivorous species that needs to be fed meats... but, I think your tropicals would enjoy some real veggies in their diet, too. Good work! :)

oh I know I can feed
vegetables to the tropicals.

but I've heard of feeding cold water fish, goldfish. fruits like water Mellon and orange segments. but I'm not sure if that's OK for tropical fish

I honestly dont know about the fruits with tropicals but im sure someone has an answer! I dont see why not as long as its the same as for the goldies- nothing in excess & not every day because of the sugar content. :)

Back
Top Bottom