Cannibalism or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, when you quarantine yiur fish, how long do you do this, and do you keep them away from your ither fish?

pretty much, when you get new fish, quarantining is keeping them in a separate tank for a few weeks, away from any other fish, to avoid infecting them with any diseases. Within the 2-4 week period (it varies from person to person), most disease issues will pop up in that time frame, so if the fish is still good by the end of the QT period then they should be good to add to the remaining stock.

I'd treat feeders the same way, except instead of adding them to a tank with other fish you'd be giving it a green light to feed them to the snake.

Okay. I'll do that from now on! :D

Now, I have (another :p) question. I have heard that some guppies, such as wild guppies, won't leave other fish alone.... In this case, would it be safer NOT to get any other fish to be with them? Or are there certain fish that can "stand" the inch or so long fish pestering them to an extent?

I've been looking into all of this more, and read (beside being told here. :D) that Corys catfish are good, but also that Platies and Mollies are good with guppies, (though this was fancy guppies, I'm sure it would apply to feeders also... or is that wrong? *blinks*)

I'm going to be switching my guppies when I get my new ones to my 20 gallon tank which is cycling (I took a test reading with the API master testing kit people here suggest and got a 7.6 PH level, 0.25 ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite and 5.0 ppm Nitrate level.) at the moment. When I switch them over, I'll have about 6-12 guppies in the 20 gallon tank, and maybe 1 snail... How many corys catfish/(if they are alright)Platies/Mollies can I also put in there?

I'm going to be using my 10 gallon for breeding my guppies, and will keep the fry in there. :D

I've been looking into all of this more, and read (beside being told here. :D) that Corys catfish are good, but also that Platies and Mollies are good with guppies, (though this was fancy guppies, I'm sure it would apply to feeders also... or is that wrong? *blinks*)

I'm going to be switching my guppies when I get my new ones to my 20 gallon tank which is cycling (I took a test reading with the API master testing kit people here suggest and got a 7.6 PH level, 0.25 ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite and 5.0 ppm Nitrate level.) at the moment. When I switch them over, I'll have about 6-12 guppies in the 20 gallon tank, and maybe 1 snail... How many corys catfish/(if they are alright)Platies/Mollies can I also put in there?

I'm going to be using my 10 gallon for breeding my guppies, and will keep the fry in there. :D
Mollies get big and messy, I would skip mollies for this particular tank. They will also get big enough to eat small adult feeder guppies, so thats another reason I would skip them. Platys do fine with guppies, but will definitely eat fry if any end up in you display tank.
I would get like 4-6 corys, but get a smaller species like julii or panda. They only reach 2 inches while other common species like peppered, bronze, emerald, and albino reach 3 inches. Maybe like 2 platies. They are messy too, so you don't want to overstock. If you have more like 12 guppies, I would just skip the platys all together and stick with the corys.

Okay! Thank you very much! :D

So, cycling a tank takes up to a week, right? At what point, and what level of PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate can I buy and add the corys and guppies to them? Thanks!

Okay! Thank you very much! :D

So, cycling a tank takes up to a week, right? At what point, and what level of PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate can I buy and add the corys and guppies to them? Thanks!
You should go to the "getting started" section for fresh and brackish water and read about cycling. Most people here support fishless cycling, but you can do a fish-in cycle as well. Anyhow, there are some guides in there about cycling that will be helpful.
You want the ammonia and nitrite to be 0 and the nitrates to be present, but only at like 10-20ppm. IMO, it takes longer than a week to do a fishless cycle, but you could use a few guppies to do a fish-in cycle. You just have to be really careful about your water changes to make sure the ammonia doesn't get too high and poison the guppies, but fish-in cycles can certainly be done with minimal stress on the fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom