Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Canopy/ hood 75gallon

I have a question about wether I should have some kind of hood or a canopy or both on my new 75 gallon. If I have a canopy, do I need a hood of some kind as well? I just need advice because sometime soon I want a nice t5 light that sits on 4 legs also. I just don't know what to get please help me out!
Thanks

Old 11-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

A little help please!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it depends on a couple things. First, if the type of fish you plan on keeping are prone to jumping out of water, then a cover of some sort will help keep them in the tank and off of the floor.
Second, the water in an uncovered aquarium will evaporate more quickly. So you'd need to replace the water more frequently.

With the exception of the tank my crayfish is in, none of my aquariums have covers. I don't currently have any fish that like to jump and I do PWCs weekly.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you plan on having the lighting unit that sit on those legs, you can put a screen cover on a tank to stop fish from jumping. Bulk Reef supply sells quarter inch clear mesh that works great for this.. you make the screens from the same moulding that is used to make window screens to fit the tank size. They sell a few kits for common tank sizes too. Or Home Depot has the molding and tools to fit the screening into the frames.

Can be painted any colour to match the decor.

Won't help with evaporation issues, but will prevent suicide jumps and be virtually invisible.

Tags
75g, 75gal, 75gallon, canopy, gallon, hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com