Can't decide which fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dstephen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 18 neon tetras, and a bristlenose pleco in my 37 gallon. I either want oto cats or Siamese algae eaters. Which one is better for algae? I know they eat different kinds.

Siamese algae eaters, way hardier and won't die on you. Plus you'll see them more often.

Siamese algae eaters, way hardier and won't die on you. Plus you'll see them more often.

Do they do a good job eating hair algaes? I had Chinese algae eaters and they didn't do well.

Just a little side note here, you may have aggression issues with the BN Pleco and the CAE. Some, not all, but some BN get very territorial over other bottom dwellers and sucker fish.

I would vote for a nice shoal of otos. Try to shoot for a group of six to eight. Just ask your LFS if they are wild caught or captive bred. Wild caught species tend to have troubles adjusting to aquarium life.

Is your tank cycled properly and matured?

Just a little side note here, you may have aggression issues with the BN Pleco and the CAE. Some, not all, but some BN get very territorial over other bottom dwellers and sucker fish.

I would vote for a nice shoal of otos. Try to shoot for a group of six to eight. Just ask your LFS if they are wild caught or captive bred. Wild caught species tend to have troubles adjusting to aquarium life.

Is your tank cycled properly and matured?

Yes it is cycled. Do you think a shoal of Otos would look okay with 18-30 neon tetras?

Yes it is cycled. Do you think a shoal of Otos would look okay with 18-30 neon tetras?
Look wise they would be fine, they really don't stick together like a "school" of fish, but would be more out and about in the tank. On the glass, driftwood, decorations, etc.. they are exciting to watch feed if you ever stick cucumbers or blanched zucchini in your tank for them.

What is your PH and what temp do you keep your aquarium?

It moves around 78-80. Last I checked the ph was 7.2
They should be perfectly happy in your tank as long has you keep your nitrates below 20ppm, and you keep your ph/temp stable where it's at. Just running some numbers here, what filter do you use on your tank?

They should be perfectly happy in your tank as long has you keep your nitrates below 20ppm, and you keep your ph/temp stable where it's at. Just running some numbers here, what filter do you use on your tank?

It's a aquaclear HOB

It's a aquaclear HOB
What model though? 30? 50?

20x Neon Tetra
20x Otos
1x BN Pleco

34.3 gallon (common market 37g)
116% Stock

This is a rough estimate on your stock level with the AC50 filter, Pleco no matter what species add a tremendous amount to the bioload. You would have to do weekly water changes of 50% to keep a decent edge on the nitrates. Splitting it up into two 25% water changes say on Wednesday and Sunday would be best.

FYI you may want to gradually lower your temp to 76°F. Neons like it a bit cooler.

Do you have live plants and wood ?

Find out the cause of your algae. No fish or snail will be a magic bullet IME.

It's usually too much light, overfeeding, not enough water changes or stagnant areas/not enough water movement

Run lights 6hrs daily
Weekly water changes
Feed lightly for now

I have 21 Neons in my 55g

I have 5 Otos

I love Otos, but they mainly eat diatoms and soft green algae.

Flag Fish and Siamese Algae Eaters are good, BUT SAE get too large for that size tank I think ? And Flag Fish are a cool water species.

Back
Top Bottom