Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2015, 01:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't even believe what I found in my canister!

Albino cory aeneus tank was starting to smell. It's been maybe two weeks since I changed it last, I know bad fish person, so I took out 60% of the water. Took a look at the intake for the Fluval 206 and it was nasty, full of Najas/guppy grass etc. At this point I have another 2 hours for my laundry to be done so I figure I may as well clean the canister and give these breeding machines the full treatment. I actually remember not to dump the dirty water so I could use to clean the filter. I slowly take it apart. The sponge side out first then one layer of the plaster trays at a time. I get down to the last tray and I lift it out of the bit of tank water left in the bottom of the canister and a fish flops out!!! It flopped into the bottom of the empty canister. So even though totally shocked because this cory has to be 2 months old and never would have fit up the intake he's in my filter. So I drain the rest of the water that I can't even see into out and thru a big net and I find another 1!! So two corys at about 2 months old and one fry have been living in my canister. All be a monkey's uncle!
I documented how they couldn't fit through the intake and where I found them etc. I swear I am not making this up. If I was i wouldn't show you the filthy condition of the canister. Makes me wonder how many fry I just dumped down the drain not knowing they were there. The light is bad over the utility sink so I'm glad the fish flopped. Poor things have never seen light before. I guess it's a good thing I over feed horribly so they had something to eat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1445313459093.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	279472   Click image for larger version

Name:	1445313476855.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	279473  

Name:	1445313497410.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	279474  

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

OMG! I just found number 3. It was under the sponge in the bottom tray and has been out of the water the whole time I was typing this! It's still alive but thin. I wonder if it ever moved before. There's no room!

Brenna
Old 10-20-2015, 03:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Number 3 is very pale. I changed part of their water in the specimen container. I didn't want to out totally different water in and shock them since they had been living in muck. I put some dwarf water lettuce and a little frozen food. After I observe the fry for a day or two I'll put it in with the other batch I have since they are almost the same size. I really feel pretty bad about this. I need to be more on top of things. These are my little miracle corys and I won't ever rehome them.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1445321911698.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	279475   Click image for larger version

Name:	1445321931553.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	279476  

Brenna
Old 10-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Incredible as to how they got in there, poor things, are they going down the tube, they must have as no other way in ???
Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's really cool! That's something special IMO. Maybe they got in there as fry or really small? There are probably more, so keep an eye out!
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The guy at 1 of my lfs reckons he pulled out 3 small boesemani rainbows from his canister filter 1ce
Old 10-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Had to have gone in as fry. The intake has a big ball in it so fish don't get sucked up and I've never not had it on there. I took the housing off the impeller, again no way to fit at that size without getting chopped up.

Brenna
Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can't even believe what I found in my canister!

Wow that's crazy. They must have gone up as fry and grown inside the filter?

I'm getting this filter today, and I was thinking of just wrapping the intake with a stocking material? Small shrimp etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes that what I think happened. Good idea or get some sort of sponge to place on the in take.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Brenna
Old 10-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

I have a friend that found shrimp and baby apistos in hers at one time. You really can't ask for a better life, safety and an all you can eat buffet lol.

Tags
canister

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com