Can't get rid of floaty crap things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowman345

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a bunch of teeny tiny green specks floating on the surface of my tank that are so prolific that they quickly block light to the rest of my tank. Seems to be some sort of plant or algae... really tiny hard little green suckers, remind me of volvox colonies (though not microscopic).

I try to skim them off, but they slip through the holes of my fish net... anyone know that this stuff is or how to get rid of it? I have a Filstar XP3, does anyone know of a surface skimmer for this filter?

-dave-

Sounds like it might be some sort of Algae. I'd probably try using a paper towel to try to get rid of it. Just lay the paper towel across the water surface and then gently remove it. Hopefully most of the green stuff will stick to the paper towel.

same symptoms as duckweed.

You can hook up the Fluval Skimmer to an XP3, I'm pretty sure of it, but they may go right through the filter and back into the tank.. make sure you OD on floss and use a micron cartridge if the XP3 can. then toss them all after it's been skimmed, make sure you also rub the sides of the tank to clean it off the glass.

Also, you could probably attach a syphon hose the the fluval skimmer, that would skim the surface into a bucket that you could just dump. (no wasting $$ on filter media.

Here is a link

Good advice. You've either got duckweed or Utricularia from the sounds of it. Nasty crap. Spend an hour with your finest net skimming the top of the water and then run a powerhead equipped with a QuickClear filter. It may take a few times at this to get rid of it, but it's the only way I've found to nip these kind of infestations in the bud :)

UGGGGH... what a pain in the neck. I think I'll try the skimmer/bucket thing durning next water change. problem with the net is they get pushed under the surface, and while they float, they take a couple hours to get to the surface... so i just stir them around the tank... blah...

and it's definately not duckweed or Utricularia... it's weird... maybe i'll take some pics.

as always, thanks for the advice!

-dave-

Back
Top Bottom