Can't get stains off glass lids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
On my glass lids even though they are clean it looks like there's a haze to them (like a milky haze) , I decided tonight to try white vinegar in the sink of a ratio of 1:1 water vs vinegar, it did absolutely nothing so now my question is i rinsed them very thoroughly with water about 1 min on each side, then dried them with a towel but afraid to put them back on the tank, how long should I rinse them for and how long should I let them dry before putting them back on?

My second question is how do I get this off my glass lids as I'm sure it's affecting my light penetration?

razor blade. Gently! 45 degree angle.
Tried it theres no residue on the glass what so ever it looks like its stained on the inside but it's not cause when it's wet it disappears, it looks like a stain on a table from say a coffee cup or something a razor blade dies nothing to it as it's smooth like its etched into the glass.

Also do you know if it's safe to put my lids back on after cleaning them with white distilled vinegar? I rinsed them very very thorough and dried them.

I'll take a pic one sec

Are you sure the lids are glass? As long as you rinse really really good, should be fine.

I still think a razor blade will do it.
I have taken a razor blade to it about 10000 times there's nothing there to scrape off its like it's embedded in the glass that's why I tried white vinegar and baking soda.

Vinegar is safe in tank ,so rinsing was fine.Some add it directly to tank as a form of carbon dosing.
I would not dilute the vinegar.
Try laying a paper towel on the glass and pour the vinegar[undiluted] on the paper towel and let it soak for 5-10 minutes.Then it should wipe away or the razor may help.
If this does not work then move up to CLR leaner.This stuff is not safe in the tank so rinsing is important but not hard to do.

Vinegar is safe in tank ,so rinsing was fine.Some add it directly to tank as a form of carbon dosing.
I would not dilute the vinegar.
Try laying a paper towel on the glass and pour the vinegar[undiluted] on the paper towel and let it soak for 5-10 minutes.Then it should wipe away or the razor may help.
If this does not work then move up to CLR leaner.This stuff is not safe in the tank so rinsing is important but not hard to do.
Okay CB, thanks I'll try that vinegar thing if that don't work I'll try the clr and rinse very thoroughly, but tbh I need new lids anyways these things aren't even attached together anymore but I can't find lids that don't have the thick plastic in the middle that annoyingly blocks light I need seamless or whatever they are called. Do you know what they are called or where to find them, I read most people just make their own solid lids for their planted tanks.

Many buy tanks at the $ per gallon sale and harvest the glass for affordable lids.
It kind of hurts to take apart a new tank but lids are pricey and often on smaller tanks very thin IMO.
As far as the plastic hinge blocking light just remove it anyways. I either leave the front of my tanks [with lids ] open or take the hinge out and use the handle to move the front part of lid when needed. I like taking the lids off completely for service anyways so this makes it easy to pull each piece separately.

Just to add to the above, if you still want the function of a hinge but not the shadow it produces, just (carefully) remove it, cut 2” sections off of it and reapply at the edges. Use care; I broke glass doing this. Hot water sometimes loosens the hinge’s grip on the glass.
fRTPws0.jpg

Many buy tanks at the $ per gallon sale and harvest the glass for affordable lids.
It kind of hurts to take apart a new tank but lids are pricey and often on smaller tanks very thin IMO.
As far as the plastic hinge blocking light just remove it anyways. I either leave the front of my tanks [with lids ] open or take the hinge out and use the handle to move the front part of lid when needed. I like taking the lids off completely for service anyways so this makes it easy to pull each piece separately.
Ahhh okay I thought they just bought the glass and had it cut or cut it themselves, yeah i take my lids completely off when I do my maintenence that's how they broke lol, I wouldn't take a tank apart, and yeah $45.00 for lids is crazy but I also got them through my lfs I could of probably saved money on Amazon but my lids are weird size they had to have them cut after I purchased them. Thanks again

Just to add to the above, if you still want the function of a hinge but not the shadow it produces, just (carefully) remove it, cut 2” sections off of it and reapply at the edges. Use care; I broke glass doing this. Hot water sometimes loosens the hinge’s grip on the glass.
fRTPws0.jpg
Image didn't work bud, and these lids are old the hinge literally falls off but when they were new it was a nightmare lol.

I don't know if baby oil will work but it works on the black plastic lids. And if your lids are clear when wet. Might have to just shine them up a bit, being old and all. Try a paper towel with some baby oil on it. Then wipe it off with a dry paper towel. Might work for glass. You never know. Worth a shot. Simple and cheap. It will not hurt the fish either.

I don't know if baby oil will work but it works on the black plastic lids. And if your lids are clear when wet. Might have to just shine them up a bit, being old and all. Try a paper towel with some baby oil on it. Then wipe it off with a dry paper towel. Might work for glass. You never know. Worth a shot. Simple and cheap. It will not hurt the fish either.
The water splashes on the lids which makes them wet the tank is super bright at the moment, my lfs said they know a guy who has glass and will make me lids for about $20.00 and tempered would be $25.00, I don't know if that's good or bad I paid $45.00 for these with the hinges, back piece I cut to fit around my filters and handles, these will just be panes of glass, here's some pics of how bright it is right now with a few adjustments of the pod locations and the removal of the plastic hinges.

Tank lighting https://imgur.com/gallery/wKFDE

Cheaper on eBay. Got mine for my 75 gallon for $20 both sides, hinger, handles,and plastic pieces for the very back. They were used but great shape.

Back
Top Bottom