Can't keep ghost shrimp alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not sure what the deal is. I bought a dozen ghost shrimp, and threw them in quarantine. I wanted to test them out as a cleanup crew / snack for my discus. I fill the tank with the same water as the discus, temp 84, ph 7.5, everything zero except nitrate at 5ppm. The discus even breed in it. So I don't know why half of the brine shrimp were dead when I woke up this morning. The rest seem ok, but what's the deal?

Any ideas?

-J

brine shrimp?

How long do brine, brine being semi salt water, shrimp live in fresh water? would be a better question I would think... Just a guess there..I have yet to use them as feaders, I used feeder guppies.

brine shrimp usually live in water that has a higher salinity than saltwater so the answer is "not very long". they're only supposed to be fed as a treat because they're mostly made of water unless you're feeding frozen enriched brine shrimp.

Ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus) are, at times, notoriously fickle - the sheer stress of moving them may have been responsible for their demise.

Whenever I buy ghost shrimp I usually lose about a quarter within the first day. Any that survive that long usually keep going for a long time after that.

Ghost shrimp, not brine shrimp.

No meds in the tank. And like Roger said, the ones that made it through the first night seem to be doing fine. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the replys.

-J

Back
Top Bottom