Cant keep Mollies alive.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiny tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's not a huge problem but I've had a few mollies at separate times and they always die very quickly in my tank. I haven't had one in a long time because I figure they would just die. Any idea on why this happened? I wouldn't mind getting another because they can be pretty.

Parameters maybe?? Temperature ? Didn't cycle tank? Compatibility ?

My temps have always been fine. Except for what's happened in the last few weeks I've never had any problems with anything in my tank. I will admit I never heard about cycling a tank until I came to this site a few days ago. But wouldn't that have affected the other fish?

What size tank, how many, and what other fish have you kept them with?

I have a 10 gal. I only ever had one at a time. Ive had a Dalmatian Molly and a plain white one. I had them with two orange platys, a blood fin, three neon tetras, and a clown loach that I now know was not right for a 10 gal but he's dead now.

Well, that may be your answer--mollys have a large bioload, as do platys, so your ten gallon was overstocked with them and the tetras. Combine that not testing the water parameters, and possible weak stock at the time for the mollys. *shrug* Ten gallon's not the best for mollys as it is according to a lot of folks on here, but if you had, say, 3 by themselves, with your increased knowledge and a tank already fishless cycled, I'd say give it a shot.

I have 3 mollies in a 10 gallon and its A LOT of work. I have to clean the tank almost daily because of the bioload. A big thing I have found with mollies is that they can't seem to handle even moderate spikes of nitrite and ammonia. If they are stressed it could definitely have killed them.

your fish are most likely dying because you are extremely overstocked.
what filtration do you have?
water parameters?

Well I couldn't tell you what it was all like back then. I haven't had a molly for about 7 months. I've had the same 10 gal filter since I started the tank but I'm going to look into filter media after I read something about it on here today.

I would say your problem is just that pet store fish like to die. 3 mollies in a ten is not "extremely overstocked" especially if you are running a power filter . See if you can get some off of craigslist or classfied add or actuions.

Matt68005 said:
I would say your problem is just that pet store fish like to die. 3 mollies in a ten is not "extremely overstocked" especially if you are running a power filter . See if you can get some off of craigslist or classfied add or actuions.

if you read the OPs actual info, ( not the other poster) then your opinion may change.. I added it below.

Tiny tank said:
I have a 10 gal. I only ever had one at a time. Ive had a Dalmatian Molly and a plain white one. I had them with two orange platys, a blood fin, three neon tetras, and a clown loach that I now know was not right for a 10 gal but he's dead now.

Back
Top Bottom