Can't keep ph stabilized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
<<<meq/L = ppm.>>> NOT!

I am not sure about using 2 buffers together. It depends on what the buffers are exactly, and I don't have experience with the Seachem ones. Way back in my undergrad years I can work out mixed buffer equations, and certain pKa's give discontinuous curves - ie the pH bounces up & down easily in the critical range. <This is what some people see using pH up/down ... a yo-yo-ing pH).

I know they make a neutral buffer (Seachem even have one), that might be a better idea. Seachem. Neutral Regulator FAQ

However, most fish can adapt to a wide range of pH. Here, tetras are kept in our tap water, which is pH 7.8 with KH of 200. Personally, I would think using cc is much easier than trying to doctor the water using all the other buffers. This is esp. when your tap already starts out at 7.6. It gets complicated trying to doctor that water if you ahve to do a large emergency water change. <Usually, people recommend using the commercial buffers only with Ro or DI water, to side step all the stuff in the tap.>

Last edited:
After yesterday's 50% water change/gravel vacuum, the ph was at around 7.0 (up from 6.0). I tested today and it has already dropped to 6.8. I've taken your excellent advice and removed both pieces of driftwood and placed them in a bucket. I'll test the aquarium tomorrow (w/o driftwood) and the water in the bucket with the driftwood and report back...
After 24 hours the two pieces of driftwood (from S. Africa) in the bucket dropped the pH from 7.8 to 7.5. The tag claimed that it would drop the pH. I had no idea that it would drop it that much. Based on the advice here, I am going to pick up some crushed coral this weekend to try to bring up my KH and stabilize my pH. Thanks to all who posted...

meq/L = ppm.

A correction to my earlier post - I must be getting old!!!

ppm = mg/L .... NOT mEq/L

mEq = #of charged particles = mMoles*Valency (the number of charge on an ion - ie 1 for Na+, K+, HCO3-, 2 for Ca++, Mg++ or CO3--, etc)

so mEq/L = ((mg/L) /molecular weight ) * Valency.

Update

I finally found a small bag of crushed coral last weekend. I added a pound to my 26 gallon tank on Sunday. The ph was reading 6.8. Because I noticed my flying fox (SAE) moping on the bottem of the tank at feeding time tonight (he is usually up top with the other fishes to eat the food), I measured the ph. After just three days with the crushed coral the ph shot up to 7.6! I've removed the crushed coral to avoid further increases.

I feel sick that I seem to have caused this problem to my fish. I'm very worried about all my fish due to this rapid ph change. (I have 9 neon tetras, 3 diamond tetras, 6 danios, 2 dwarf gouramis, and the SEA).

Two questions:
At this point, do I just hold my breath and hope the fish survive, or is there something that I can do?
If I put the crushed coral back in, will the ph stay at 7.6 or will it continue to climb?

I'm very discouraged. My feeling right now is that if my fish die, I don't think I have the heart to start again...

Thanks in advance.

keep the crushed coral in there. it will buffer the water to around 7.8 and keep it there. 7.6 may be what it stays at for you. if you remove it, it will just drop back down, something you dont want! just keep an eye on everything, and dont give up. we all live and learn and thats what makes us better :)

keep the crushed coral in there. it will buffer the water to around 7.8 and keep it there. 7.6 may be what it stays at for you. if you remove it, it will just drop back down, something you dont want! just keep an eye on everything, and dont give up. we all live and learn and thats what makes us better :)

As I suspected he would, my poor SAE died, I'm guessing from the change in ph. :( That's the bad news. The good news is that the other fish seem to be fine (which is a bit surprising. I've heard that neon tetras are exceedingly vulnerable to changes in water chemistry. They seem to be fine).

I'm puzzled about the use of crushed coral. I know it increases PH, but I thought it would also increase the buffer (which I would expect to mean an increase in KH). What reading should I expect from KH if there is a good buffer? Before the crushed coral I had a KH at about 30-40ppm. After one week, it's about 60ppm. While this is an increase, I would expect a higher reading given the fact the the ph when from 6.8 to 7.6.

Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom