Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you all SO MUCH!!! I feel like I am coming out of the fog and getting things figured out, finally. I went to the store today and purchased a gravel vac and just did a 50% water change. I got a vac with a much slimmer tube this time, and that seems to have made a huge difference in the ease of use. The kind I got can be started by shaking it up and down in the water, so no sucking. My tank is too far from the sink to run a hose between the two, but I have lots of containers to empty into, so no problem. I also purchased a soft sponge to remove the algae from the tank walls. I'll leave the ornaments alone for now.
In short...no more drastic water changes and total scrub-outs for me!!!
In a week or so I'm going back to get my water tested (they'll do it for free) and see how things look before I add any fish. (Sorry I didn't test before the change--who knows what was going on in there).
I really like the idea of the hatchet fish if they actually will tolerate the high current at the top of my tank. Once the tank is ready to add fish I will see if I can find them.
Thanks again to all and I'll drop an update when there is news!

Tags
live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com