Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can't keep water clear

Hi All,

Need a lil help on how to keep my freshwater tank water clear - I do a 50% water change on my 10gal tank (houses 3 danios and 3 platys) and by the 2nd day the tank is all cloudy. I've even put in some drops to clear the water and this doesn't help. This happens every water change and I've even used bottled water with the same results - my fish aren't sick are anything and they have a healthy appetite,

All I want is to see my fish

PS - I also wash the ornaments as well.

Oh just in case anyone was wondering about my Gurl betta I lost her last week she fought as long as she could but couldn't recover

Old 09-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry to hear about your betta.

What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Stop adding chemicals to clear the water--we'll get to the bottom of this the old fashion way!
Quote:
I also wash the ornaments as well.
What's on them?

You say the water is cloudy--like a haze, does it have a color?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

why are you doing 50% water changes?

HOw long have you had the tank running?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:14 PM   #4

I don't know the all parameters but i do know that the ammonia level is 0 (I went to buy a kit to test all parameters and it cost a lil' more than could I afford today - I'll have to get it fri). I didn't add any chemicals (i did use aquarium salt and aquasafe for stress). I clean the ornaments of the poop and food that is still in the tank from when i vaccuum the tank out and also from what the filter doesn't get out. I do a 50% water change cause the water is cloudy (hazy appearance). I've been running the tank for about 2 months. (Yes I'm a Newbie trying to get a handle on my fish friends home).
Old 09-06-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

This sounds like the tank is not fully cycled. Doing a 50% water change and cleaning everything is slowing down the cycle.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Incidenly, I have found that since I have stopped adding chemicals to my tanks and just using distilled water the water seems alot clearer. People keep commenting on how nice and clean the tanks look. I just make sure that my tanks are properly cycled before I add fish. I have also noticed that I no longer have to worry about the hard water stains I was getting before on the rim of the tank.
Megalofyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with menagerie. What I'm thinking is that you're having a bacterial bloom. You have to wait it out and then suddenly one morning you'll wake and the water will be crystal clear. As long as your ammonia and nitrites are low I would avoid water changes and let the tank cycle through the bloom.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #8

Kool, I appreciate the info - but here's another question - what is bacterial bloom and cycling?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ah!! The perfect questions from a new comer!! Read about the nitrogen cycle in the articles section and this thread is also good. Bacterial blooms are commonly found in new tanks, part of the "new tank syndrome." I found this article to explain cloudy tanks.
Kudos to you for asking!

Old 09-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #10

Menagerie, Thank You for the info I checked out those threads and they were very helpful. I have another 10gal tank that I'm not going to be so anxious to put fish in, what I would like to do is put plants in this one first and then put a few fish in once its cycled do you have any easy info on how to do plants?

I do hope to someday get a larger tank with first things first to perform a fishless cycle and then rehouse my lil' Babies.

To All Involved - I really appreciate all the time You put in to this website to keep us Newbies informed on the how to's and what to's and when to's. My Fish are more than just a hobby their almost an extension of Myself we are attached as being dependent on the other

Tags
clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com