Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to dlucas10
Can't seem to get rid of ammonia

Hello,

I think I messed up when I added a new filter as the other one wasn't working properly and now I can't seem to get the ammonia level down. Currently inside the canister filter I have Carbon, and Ammonia remover and it looks like it's not doing anything. I feel bad for the fish in the tank and would like to get rid of the ammonia . The fish seem active as they're swimming around but a couple of them are missing some scales.

If there is any advice that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

do a big water change every day if you have too

Old 08-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Thanx but no.....

Dosing with Prime or some equivalent will get your current ammonia under control. It won't address why you're getting the ammonia spike though. I'm assuming you didn't transfer the media from the old filter to the new? If that's the case then you're going through another cycle (to some degree). Get ready for lots of testing and water changes unless you can get your hands on some used media.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yeah, i didn't keep the media as it was a fluval and I went to a marineland.

So, your recomendation is to get some prime and follow the directions on the bottle?? Should I remover the ammonia removers in the filter??
Old 08-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
Sliced Bread

How high is your ammonia level?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My advice is to do as large of a water change as you can making sure to remove all uneaten food and excrement. Next, fill the tank back up with water and treat the tank with Prime as has been suggested. It will neutralize the ammonia to a form that isn't toxic to the fish but it will still show up on your test kit. More feedings of smaller portions is in order until you get the tank cycled. Large water changes of 25-50% per day should be done until the level reaches 0 ppm.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

neilanh: it looks like it's 4 ppm using the API test.

I'm going to do a 50% water change right now. And place a capful of prime in?? It's a 75 gallon tank.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My bottle of Prime says 2 drops per gallon for .8ppm ammonia and can double it if higher and can add 5 times the dose for an emergency.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
If you used an Ammo Lock your ammonia isnt 4ppm.. its not the toxic forum of ammonia.. Let your filter work at it a couple of days.. if it doesnt work out the ammo lock will wear off and do a 50% or under asap.

thats what i did.. mine is now slowly going down.. its 1ppm.. better than the close to 6 it was
Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I used two capfuls as it states on the bottle "Use 1 capful for each 50 gallons of new water."

Is it a recomendation that I put in two more capfulls??

MichaelsLilGray: I did not use ammo lock. The only thing that is being used right now is that I have the Ammonia remover in the filter. You know, the stuff that looks like the carbon except that it's white.

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com