Can't we all just get along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have four discus in a 90 gallon tank and one of them is really angering me!!! He is just so mean to two of the discus. Originally, I had six discus. One ate too much and died (if you want to know how it happened, just ask). The other one died because the dominant discus was vicious to him and I think he starved to death. All he did was hide in a corner for weeks because every time he came out into the open, the dominant fish would attack him.

When they were young, I thought that it was kind amusing to see them attempt to create a hierarchy, but now it is ridiculous. My largest discus doesn't mess with anyone, he could be considered the 'nice guy.' The second largest discus is the dominant aggressive one. He doesn't mess with the largest discus, but he makes the lives of the smallest two living hells. I realize that in groups, there is a hierarchy that the fish must abide by, but is it possible to have a fish on a power trip?

Yes it is quite possible. Do you have several hiding spots for the fish? Are the discus the only fish in the tank? If not what other tankmates? You could get some dither fish as well.

Yes, the tank has several hiding places. I have a large, tangled piece of driftwood and numerous plants. I only have two cardinal tetras with them and the discus leave them alone. I would purchase more, but every time I add new cardinal tetras; the discus eat them. Its kinda odd....the new tetras can be the same size as the other two, but when my discus see the new ones, thier deaths come soon after.

Giant danios or zebra danios? I just thought of something somewhat amusing. I originally asked if there are fish out there who could be on power trips. I asked this because I think my dominant discus could be. Not only is he aggressive to the two other discus; he is also aggressive towards me. If I put my hand into the tank to clean it, all of the fish go to hide except him. He even attacks my hand and the cleaning equipment sometimes.

I started with 6 discus about a year ago. Same thing, one grew quickly and was the dominate one. I had a marlboro that never left his "hiding place" even to eat. He was alsways small and eventually passed from so much aggression. After that I lost one other cobalt blue who was the second least stong. Since then everything is fine. The heirarchy is established. THe dominate one doesn't chase anybody anymore. They all know, and he knows, he is #1. You still see a bit of aggression at times from the other 3, but they are all happy, and they all aggress equally. They are housed with simaese algae eaters and a sydontis.

Keep in mind that discus are infact cichlids. They will have a level of aggression. You will usually lose a weak one in the group, in fact, i have heard of people culling the weak ones (though i don't agree with that).

Back
Top Bottom