Carbon bag broke and now carbon is in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in my aqua clear 70 I had a stock bag of carbon, I didn't realize the bag they are in deteriorate well I did my pwc yesterday and saw black little rocks in my tank, I could not siphon out, I went down again today and now my tank is full with them, will this hurt my tank I plan on finding a way to get them out but right now I don't know how, will my fish be okay with the little pieces of carbon inside the tank?

It will be fine.
Activated carbon has a limited amount of absorption once that is reached then it becomes inert,holding onto what ever it has gathered.
the bond is ionic so can not be easily broken to release what is has gathered. (High heat,acids etc)
once it becomes Inert it has Ideal properties for BB colonization due to it's irregular surface.

So if it is not unsightly then i wouldnt worry.

It will be fine.
Activated carbon has a limited amount of absorption once that is reached then it becomes inert,holding onto what ever it has gathered.
the bond is ionic so can not be easily broken to release what is has gathered. (High heat,acids etc)
once it becomes Inert it has Ideal properties for BB colonization due to it's irregular surface.

So if it is not unsightly then i wouldnt worry.
It was unsightly looked like I had rabbit droppings in the tank lol, I got most of it out but not all, the stuff that's still in there went to the bottom of my substrate, ty for the quick reply.

Back
Top Bottom