Carbon filters... now I'm confused.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm cycling a 48 gallon freshwater (fishless) and the idea popped into my head that I probably shouldn't change the carbon filters anytime soon after it's cycled so I don't throw away all the good bacteria I've grown on them.

Then I started reading all these different opinions on carbon, and I am officially confused. Do I need them? How often should I change the cartridge? Is it going to cause a mini-cycle whenever I switch them out?

I have the Tetra Whisper EX70- Tetra Whisper EX Series Filter Systems - Filters - Fish - PetSmart

Other than the Tetra filter, I have 2 air-stones but no other types of filtration. There are 4 slots in the filter, 2 for carbon and 2 types of cartridges you never clean or replace (part of the bio-filter?).

What is your opinion on changing the carbon cartridges out? Right now I have my seeding material stuffed down into the same slots as the filters and my cycle seems to be going great.

Well I don't run any carbon unless I'm removing meds or a dye from my tanks. With weekly water changes so I don't get odors from the tanks. As for changing filter media dont do it unless its falling apart . Just rinse in old tank water when doing water change to clean.

I know that my bio filter will handle the ammonia, nitrites, etc... But if I remove the filter cartridges, what is going to catch and remove the solid particles (aka, fish poo) or any other debris that makes it into the tank?

Should I replace the carbon cartridges with some other type of filter? If I shouldn't remove the filters that are in there now (and throw away good bacteria) is it okay to leave old carbon filters sitting in the tank?

You could add foam instead of there cartrige. Also I have a mainland bio wheel filter that has carbon in it just make a small cut to remove it then run it'll its falling apart .

Don't use carbon unless you're trying to clean something (ie meds) from your tank. If carbon is left in the system beyond it's life span, I've heard it can become toxic.

I have my old Aqueon on my QT and custom make filter inserts so I don't have carbon in the system. Meds & carbon don't mix.

Sent from my Epic 4G

What should I do with the carbon that's in there now? Cut out the actual carbon and leave the sleeves in there? I'm in the middle of a cycle and don't want to mess anything up. How long should I leave the sleeves in after the cycle completes if I replace it with a different type of filter?

Best bet is to leave alone till ur cycle is completed then Make a cartridge or remove carbon from a pre made one its really ur preference.

If the carbon is built in, one thing I've heard people do is cut the down stream side of the filter pad just enough to get the carbon out.

You can reuse it till it falls apart, just pull the modifed pad out and rinse/wipe it off in old water from a PWC when it looks overloaded with junk. Make sure it stays wet though if it dries out, the bacteria will die.

Sent from my Epic 4G

I love using carbon and would recommend it to anybody else. Has caused no problems, and I've read that the rumor that it leaks toxins into the water is bunk. And if my sensitive fish are thriving in it, I say it's good.

Okay, the more research I'm doing leads me to believe that the carbon filters are not necessary unless you're trying to remove meds or if there are odor problems with the aquarium.

On the other hand, I guess it doesn't seem to hurt anything unless you leave them in too long and they potentially start doing more damage than good. I work for a water purification company and know that even things like Brita filters will start adding things to your water instead of taking stuff out if left in too long.

So, if I decided just to keep using them (I guess over filtration never hurt anything), is it going to cause a mini-cycle when I replace them? I assume lots of the bacteria builds up on the filter itself?

eco23 said:
Okay, the more research I'm doing leads me to believe that the carbon filters are not necessary unless you're trying to remove meds or if there are odor problems with the aquarium.

On the other hand, I guess it doesn't seem to hurt anything unless you leave them in too long and they potentially start doing more damage than good. I work for a water purification company and know that even things like Brita filters will start adding things to your water instead of taking stuff out if left in too long.

So, if I decided just to keep using them (I guess over filtration never hurt anything), is it going to cause a mini-cycle when I replace them? I assume lots of the bacteria builds up on the filter itself?

Good example with the brita filter analogy. If you're cycling fishless, I'd leave it in and yes the gunk that builds up inside your filter housing does contain some bacteria. One reason I like my AC 50 & Fusion 4 is that they use seperate media (each has 3) and I can replace/clean one and still keep the bacteria count up with the other 2 elements. Plus I can mix & match till I find the right combo that works for my DT.

Getting your tank fully cycled is your first priority IMO. Worry about the rest later.

Good luck!

Sent from my Epic 4G

I always leave the same cart in for the first couple months. I rinse my carbon filled cart in tank water when I do my weekly PWC. I change the filter every couple of months or less/more if it seems to need it and the tank does not go through a mini cycle.

Carbon is used as a chemical filtration to remove odors, discoloration, and makes your water clearer, i use an aquatech 60 gallon filter which has in this order filterpad( mechanical)>carbon (chemical)> nitrifiying bacteria growth pad ( this pad you never change it allows bacteria to grow on it reducing your ammonia and nitrites) i hope this helps a bit
carbon doesnot hold bacteria, and it does loss it properties overtime so i change my pad (filterpad front, carbon basket back) every two weeks.
hope this helps you in anyway good luck

When I've wanted to use it I normally just buy the small media bags most fish stores carry and buy the loose carbon. It may be harder with some filters, but that's why I like the aqua-clear filters. The chamber makes it easier to run which media I want. I'm not sure if the same thing would work with yours. But it allows me to just reuse my filter after cleaning it in old tank water since the carbon is nestled in next to it.

Back
Top Bottom