Carbon? Harmful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking through some web pages and saw a bunch of articles discouraging regular use of carbon. Here's one of them,
Carbon and aquariums
So should I be using it? If not what should I use, marineland penguin filters only sell Pads with carbon built in, as far as I know, which isn't much. So does marineland sell carbonless filter media for penguins and or empowers? Thanks

You can use it no problem...it's just not necessary...usually carbon is used to get rid of that funky smell...or clear up cloudy water...or remove meds from the water...I used to use it all the time and change it every 2-3 months...but lately I've been using the foam alone, and my water is still clear and fish are healthy.

is there any way to open your penguin cartridges?

Yes but that would require cutting the slits in the back of the cartridge, which would make it unuasable, so no it's not possible if I want to actually use the cartridge lol. I really dislike DIY and tampering with aquarium stuff so modifying my filter would be a no. Did you read the article? It seemed convinceinv to me although I just skimmed through it lol it was too long. Thanks as long as you say all those reasons aren't true or possible I'll continue using them, I replace my cartridges (I use 2), has an extra slot, every 2 weeks.
You can use it no problem...it's just not necessary...usually carbon is used to get rid of that funky smell...or clear up cloudy water...or remove meds from the water...I used to use it all the time and change it every 2-3 months...but lately I've been using the foam alone, and my water is still clear and fish are healthy.

is there any way to open your penguin cartridges?

Yea i read about the part where it says carbon removes trace elements...don't know if there is any truth to that, but I've had my tanks for over 8 years now and for the first 6 of those years I've always used carbon...of course I've had problems/deaths over the years but I'm pretty sure they were not related to my carbon removing trace elements from water.

Ok thanks I'll continue using It I was just wondering about it after reading that article.

When I still used Penguins and either Wal-mart's Aqua Tech or Marineland's cartridges , I just cut a slit in the filter pad at the very top of the cartridge and shook it till all the carbon was out of it . Never rendered it unusable and after the carbon was out of them I never replaced them , just rinsed them out and stuck them back in .

Many people will notice a difference when they do and do not use carbon. The idea is that the carbon is removing beneficial trace elements. This is usually most apparent in reef and planted tanks but only when trace elements are the limiting factor. Most people are not at the point where trace elements are their limiting factor.

There have been a few cases where carbon use actually caused HLLE. It is rare, but one of the things to look into when a fish with HLLE has it regardless of water quality and diet. I have talked to a few people who had not gotten any improvement in their fish with HLLE after improving water and food quality. When they removed the carbon the HLLE went away, when they returned it the carbon came back. So they ditched the carbon completely and the HLLE went away permanently. The idea is the same, that it is removing vital trace elements. The reason may not be understood, but the cause in these few cases was obvious.

The most important thing for any product is to see how well it does in your tank. If your tank seems to do better with carbon, use it. If you are thinking about trying a new product then get one bottle/package and go through it completely. If you see an improvement when you start using it then keep using it. If you see a decline in anything when you stop, keep using it (this would mean that the improvement was not obvious, but was there). Obviously if you see any decline when you start using a product stop immediately (and try to get a refund).

Thanks, I've noticed a major deifferenfw when using carbon. The water stays clearer when using it.
Many people will notice a difference when they do and do not use carbon. The idea is that the carbon is removing beneficial trace elements. This is usually most apparent in reef and planted tanks but only when trace elements are the limiting factor. Most people are not at the point where trace elements are their limiting factor.

There have been a few cases where carbon use actually caused HLLE. It is rare, but one of the things to look into when a fish with HLLE has it regardless of water quality and diet. I have talked to a few people who had not gotten any improvement in their fish with HLLE after improving water and food quality. When they removed the carbon the HLLE went away, when they returned it the carbon came back. So they ditched the carbon completely and the HLLE went away permanently. The idea is the same, that it is removing vital trace elements. The reason may not be understood, but the cause in these few cases was obvious.

The most important thing for any product is to see how well it does in your tank. If your tank seems to do better with carbon, use it. If you are thinking about trying a new product then get one bottle/package and go through it completely. If you see an improvement when you start using it then keep using it. If you see a decline in anything when you stop, keep using it (this would mean that the improvement was not obvious, but was there). Obviously if you see any decline when you start using a product stop immediately (and try to get a refund).

Hey, I just learned something! I knew that Carbon depleted trace minerals in planted tanks (which it why I use Purigen instead) but had no idea it could affect the fish. Good thing I use Purigen in all my tanks...

Back
Top Bottom