carbon in the filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adkjoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
So what's the consensus on using carbon in the filters? I have 2 aquaclear 110's on my 55 gallon tank. They just have the sponge on the bottom and the bio material bags on top of that and that's it. Should I be putting the carbon bag in between the bottom sponge and bio bag? What would be the pro/con's of adding the carbon bags?

Using Chemical Medium

So what's the consensus on using carbon in the filters? I have 2 aquaclear 110's on my 55 gallon tank. They just have the sponge on the bottom and the bio material bags on top of that and that's it. Should I be putting the carbon bag in between the bottom sponge and bio bag? What would be the pro/con's of adding the carbon bags?

Hello ad...

If you're pretty consistent with your water change routine, you don't need to use the carbon (chemical) medium. The water changes will more than do the job. Be good about changing the tank water and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

So just the sponge and bio bag is enough? I mean I know 2- 110's is pretty overkill for a 55 gallon. Is there anything else besides the carbon I should add for a little filtration? I'm pretty good about water changes and keeping the tank clean just wondering if I should be filling the space in the filters with other media. I have a box of the carbon bags but never put them in that's why I ask.

Tank Filtration

So just the sponge and bio bag is enough? I mean I know 2- 110's is pretty overkill for a 55 gallon. Is there anything else besides the carbon I should add for a little filtration? I'm pretty good about water changes and keeping the tank clean just wondering if I should be filling the space in the filters with other media. I have a box of the carbon bags but never put them in that's why I ask.

Hello again ad...

You can supplement the filtration as far a specific media if you like. Research a company by the name of Acurel. They've been in business for quite a few years and have very good filter media products. I've used their polyfiber in my HOBs and am pleased with the results. The water stays nice and clear and the fiber padding is reusable.

B

Carbon Pouches

Thanks BBradbury. Are there any negative side effects to putting the carbon pouches in the Aquaclear?

Hello ad...

No negatives that I know of. Hagan makes the chemical medium for those filters. I don't use it, because I follow a good water change routine. But, it's not wrong to use the carbon pouches. Carbon will help keep the water clear and eliminate tank water odors too.

B

Back
Top Bottom