Carbon or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treedae

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is carbon in a filter cartridge necessary? I read in a post that someone goes without using it and it works fine.

What does the carbon adsorb? Is it mainly for ammonia and nitrites that exceed what the bacteria can convert?

From what I've heard and read, it's the chemicals and odor that the activated carbon is supposed to catch. Ammonia and nitrite will stay in the water unless you have enough bacteria population to process it or you do water change.

I think given that you're water source is safe (generally free of heavy metal and chemicals), not having carbon won't be a big problem. Just my opinion though.

i'm pretty sure as a general rule,, you want carbon, go to the articles section at the top of the home page for this site and i belive you'll find the answer you seek

i think its a waste of carbon/money if you put more in every water change. if your waters like yellow or something i understand. but i dont really make as much as you grownups with ur fancy full time jobs :?

It absorbs organic material that lowers the water's redox. It does not absorb ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate directly. The organic material would eventually break down into more harmful chemicals like nitrite, nitrate, etc., if left free in the water.

The trouble is that carbon also absorbs trace elements that are beneficial to fish and plants.

Many of the synthetic materials that are available are superior to carbon. I stopped using carbon long ago and switched to Seachem's Purigen. It is pure white and turns dark brown when it is exhausted, so it's easy to tell when it needs replaced. It lasts a LONG time, at least 5 times longer than carbon. I have found that when it's first put in a tank, it polishes the water so well it looks like there isn't even any water in the tank and the fish are floating. It doesn't absorb trace elements. And, while it is on the slightly expensive side, it can be regenerated at home using bleach, a dechlorinator, and carbonate buffer. I recently tried it and found it worked really well. I tried it on some I had in my canister that was almost black. When I was done it was pure white again. I tested it in a glass of water with a chlorine test strip when I was done and there wasn't a trace of chlorine.

Again, just like carbon, it doesn't remove nitrate, nitrite, or ammonia directly, but rather absorbs dissolved organics that would otherwise break down into these types of toxic chemicals.

medusa thats awesome i'm gonna check that out!
i'd just like to add the cautionary statement that once carbon absorbs all it can it starts putting back into the water !! and since you cannot tell by looking at it whether it is exhausted... nuff said
i

I wouldn't bother with carbon or purigen. I would only use carbon to take out tannins or chemicals. Quite honestly, tannins don't bother me and with weekly water changes the tannins are removed. I never put chemicals in my tanks--only in QT tanks and they have airstones.
The answer here is water changes!

I also dont use carbon unless after medi the tank. If you have planted tank then carbon is no no as all the elements will be remove by carbon. As for tanin, i like the brownish look, but the water will turn back to crystal clear after every water change.

But do kept a small bag of carbon seal in air tight plastic around as if anything goes wrong with the water say like after water changing, then carbon will be handy.

HTH

I use carbon because I'm old school, holmz. ..And because I don't necessarily have the financial means to explore other options. I can tell when my carbon runs out because my tank STIIINKS!!! I recently bought new carbon and put it in and in about a day or so (I have a ~20 gal tank), there wasn't any stink. HOWEVER!! there's also SOSOSO much dust from the carbon in my tank! It gets everywhere! Sometimes on my fish! It's on my gravel!

I saw Purigen in the www.thatfishplace.com catalog. I really wanted to try it. Here's a link:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/purigen/Class//T1/F39+0343+0032/Itemdy00.aspx

If your tank stinks, there is another problem, other than old carbon. None of my 7 tanks have carbon and none of them sink.

Back
Top Bottom