Carbon question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been doing a little more research on carbon, and after seeing the latest BRS TV episode on the topic, can't help but wonder if the stuff that's preloaded in the MarineLand cartridges (for the Penguin HOBs) is really worth the plastic it's encased in. I'm thinking not.

I was wondering if anyone has used either MarineLand's Black Diamond carbon, BRS's ROX 0.8, Fluval's UltraCarbon, or SeaChem's Matrix Carbon, and if so, have you noticed any substantial difference in your water quality?

I currently run 2 Penguin 200 HOBs each with a single cartridge in them (plus purigen and a 50 micron pad). My water quality is excellent (nitrates finally coming in line, phosphates at or close to zero, along with 0 nitrites and ammonia), so would the potentially extra expense be worth it for my tank?

What quality of your water are you trying to change with carbon? It's funny you ask that though. I'm trying an experiment with my Penguin 200 filter cartridge right now. I cut a slit in the top of a new insert, dumped out the carbon, filled it with poly fill and used a hot glue gun to close it up. I stuck it in front of the old insert to get some bb on it. My goal is a polishing filter because my tank is always kind of cloudy. It's been in for about an hour and is looking better.

I don't use carbon at all inless I am removing meds, or the tank has some sort of odor which is rare. Andy for a more polished look use quilt batting inside your filters. It will trap the finer particles

I've been doing a little more research on carbon, and after seeing the latest BRS TV episode on the topic, can't help but wonder if the stuff that's preloaded in the MarineLand cartridges (for the Penguin HOBs) is really worth the plastic it's encased in. I'm thinking not.

I was wondering if anyone has used either MarineLand's Black Diamond carbon, BRS's ROX 0.8, Fluval's UltraCarbon, or SeaChem's Matrix Carbon, and if so, have you noticed any substantial difference in your water quality?

I currently run 2 Penguin 200 HOBs each with a single cartridge in them (plus purigen and a 50 micron pad). My water quality is excellent (nitrates finally coming in line, phosphates at or close to zero, along with 0 nitrites and ammonia), so would the potentially extra expense be worth it for my tank?
I'm curious, if your water is excellent, why are you considering carbon???. I would save your money if i was you.... Purigen will do the same or a better job of polishing the water than the carbon. I would only use the carbon to remove meds or odour...

I'm curious, if your water is excellent, why are you considering carbon???. I would save your money if i was you.... Purigen will do the same or a better job of polishing the water than the carbon. I would only use the carbon to remove meds or odour...

Aaah, I didn't realize using Purigen with carbon was redundant. Thanks for that info.

So I think I'll move to floss + micropad and Purigen in both HOBs; since the only thing missing at that point would be the carbon. Good timing, since I'm set for a carbon swapout next week :)

What about the BB? Is that resident solely on the floss (and biowheel, in this case, and how effective is that wheel really?), or do they take up residence on the carbon as well? I'm thinking of maybe using Matrix (not Matrix Carbon) for a BB housing...

Aaah, I didn't realize using Purigen with carbon was redundant. Thanks for that info.

So I think I'll move to floss + micropad and Purigen in both HOBs; since the only thing missing at that point would be the carbon. Good timing, since I'm set for a carbon swapout next week :)

What about the BB? Is that resident solely on the floss (and biowheel, in this case, and how effective is that wheel really?), or do they take up residence on the carbon as well? I'm thinking of maybe using Matrix (not Matrix Carbon) for a BB housing...
Cheers!!. On the floss, i use cheap bed pillows, remove the floss(same as filter floss) and stuff as much in as possible. A pillow should only cost a dollar or two and will last years!!!. As far as i know, bb don't grow on the carbon, that's a chemical media plus you change that out without any bb issues... On the timing issue you mentioned, i am currently waiting on my order of Matrix to arrive. I'm going to replace all my bio-media(balls, noodles) in my canister. Make sure you only change the bio-media(balls and/or noodles) slowly, over a few weeks. You don't want to lose that BB!!. I would say definitely go with the Matrix. Your water will be so clear, you won't even think you have water in your tank!!...

Cheers!!. On the floss, i use cheap bed pillows, remove the floss(same as filter floss) and stuff as much in as possible. A pillow should only cost a dollar or two and will last years!!!. As far as i know, bb don't grow on the carbon, that's a chemical media plus you change that out without any bb issues... On the timing issue you mentioned, i am currently waiting on my order of Matrix to arrive. I'm going to replace all my bio-media(balls, noodles) in my canister. Make sure you only change the bio-media(balls and/or noodles) slowly, over a few weeks. You don't want to lose that BB!!. I would say definitely go with the Matrix. Your water will be so clear, you won't even think you have water in your tank!!...

OK, I'll definitely pick up some Matrix on my next trip to the LFS. I've been toying with going to a canister (a 406 or FX5, though I'm worried the FX5 has too much flow for my tank), that can better accommodate a good mix of filtration media in the quantities are are needed in the tank. (The Penguins don't give you much room to play with in the box)

OK, I'll definitely pick up some Matrix on my next trip to the LFS. I've been toying with going to a canister (a 406 or FX5, though I'm worried the FX5 has too much flow for my tank), that can better accommodate a good mix of filtration media in the quantities are are needed in the tank. (The Penguins don't give you much room to play with in the box)
Yeah if your budget allows it, you should defo go with the canister. As you said they are so much more flexible and you can customize it to suit your needs....

Yeah if your budget allows it, you should defo go with the canister. As you said they are so much more flexible and you can customize it to suit your needs....

Ha...perfect timing, just as I'm starting up a saltwater tank (already have 3 freshwater, I want to branch out :) )

Ha...perfect timing, just as I'm starting up a saltwater tank (already have 3 freshwater, I want to branch out :) )
So your going to sit on the fence, a salty and a freshie...haha
1 55g is enough for me...for now. Best of luck with both!!!!

So your going to sit on the fence, a salty and a freshie...haha
1 55g is enough for me...for now. Best of luck with both!!!!

Two of the tanks are small, a 5 gallon in the bedroom and a 3 gallon in the kitchen. The biggie is 56 gallons.

The salt is starting at 20, though I've had my eye on a 60 ;-)

Back
Top Bottom