Cardinal tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you tell me if this fish's gills look normal or overly red? Our neighbors just moved and gave us their fish. I have yet to see him eat. Wondering if he's healthy or not. Seems healthy enough. He's the only fish in his tank and I think this is a schooling fish so he's not overly active but no signs off illness. Just his gills and lack of eating. Thoughts? What type of food are good for tetras?sorry it won't let me post a photo or delete my post. :(

Cardinal tetras are great. But you are right - they are schooling so it would be best to buy more cardinals. 6 or more is ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're normal, but that's a neon tetra, not a cardinal. My neons look just like that.

I mean the gills look fine, but I'm not sure about the eating, it could be from stress being the only fish.

Neons get heavily stressed when they're not in a school, and can actually die. Go to your LFS and purchase five friends for him/her.

Oh geez thanks! What other tank mates would be good? I would like to get ballon mollies, and glo light danios. I also need some type of algae eater. Recommendations?

For an algae eater I suggest not an actual algae water. They are usually very aggressive. Plecos get huge!!! I would suggest otocinclus but they also like to be in groups

But yeah neons do worse alone than cardinals so I agree go to the store and get him 5 more friends ASAP. Then wait for the tank to catch up on the cycle. Neons alone in big groups can be stunning! Any other tetra should be fine with them. :)

Oh geez thanks! What other tank mates would be good?

Be sure that you get at least five more Neons.

I don't know what size tank you have, but other compatible fish would be most other tetra species, Harlequin Rasboras, Zebra Danios, etc. You'll need fish that will tolerate soft water and a pH of 7.5 or lower. Also, don't get anything large enough to eat your Neons (Angelfish, etc.).

Unfortunately I have very high ph. 8.4. I am considering an ROI buddy but haven't gotten one yet.

The other option is sown times getting gallons of water to supplement will help bring down ph

Ok so 30 gallon- you've definitely got room. One of my old tanks was all tetras. You could probably do 3 decent sized schools. Or 2 and then some other non tetras

Back
Top Bottom