CaribSea Flora Max vs. Eco-Complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's the difference between these two? Both of these are made by CaribSea and are called 'Planted Aquarium Substrate.'

Their description for Eco-Complete is considerably longer vs. Flora Max.

Eco-Complete is described as eliminating the need for laterite supplement while Flora Max is described as reducing the need for laterite.

Eco-Complete is described as rich volcanic soil containing many micronutrients as well as being 'live' helping to convert fish waste into plant food, as well as 'Now Containing Floraspore.' Flora Max lacks any such descriptions.

Sounds like I need to go with the Eco-Complete?

HI Bradley'
I have used both. In a 29g heavily planted tank. The first 16 months was with flora-max and it did OK. It required a lot of rinsing upon installation, as it was really loaded with silt. But it seemed to have good CEC and held nutrients well.
I did a total rescape in Feb with Eco Complete Fine grade black. It was a lot less silty. I didn't rinse it at all and what cloudiness cleared in 36 hrs. If you're wanting much of a slope with it, it's hard to do. It's so light it tends to level itself out. It was much easier to push the plants into without damaging the stems & roots than the Flora M. Also they say it had a rooting aid added. Must be true as my AR mini and Ludwigia Cuba rooted into the Eco much faster. As far as growth rate I have to admit that both seem to give the same result. The Eco just seems to be easier to deal with for both me and the plants.
There is another that is considered the best of all of them. It's the ADA Aquasoil substrates. It's considered a "Cadillac" substrate and is pretty expensive. I've not used it but Brian_Nano12g, a member in here, has and could tell you more about it than I can.
Good luck in your quest. OS.

I have Floramax and the silt is a nightmare at first. But I must say that over time, the plants have responded extremely well to the Floramax.

Back
Top Bottom