Caring for Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I was thinking of getting a few ghost shrimp in my tank as I heard they make great cleaners. I was wondering if there is anything special I need to know about them. The tank is a 20g, and their mates would be neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, julii corys, and a mystery snail. I have quite a few plants in there for them to hide in if they need it. Any information on them would be appreciated! :thanks: :fish2:

This is a great question, I was wondering this myself.

I tried ghost shrimp but they seem to die off quick. I could see one problem was they were not molting correctly.

Another problem was they kept getting sucked into the filter and the filter is a aquaclear 30, which is not that powerful.

I can't wait to see what responses you get.

That worrys me, since i have 2 20g filters running, one of which is near the bottom of the tank. Anyone know a way to prevent that?

You could also get amano shrimp, which are different but do the same thing. I love them, and they're tough and won't get sucked.

You could also get amano shrimp, which are different but do the same thing. I love them, and they're tough and won't get sucked.

Great suggestion! Those little guys are basically the same but tougher. One thing you have to look for though is that they are known escape artists who like to stroll the house... I found that out and duct taped every opening on my tank!!! Lol, have you ever had that problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A profiler works awesome they won't get sucked in. Plus it grabs a lot of debris and they will be able to take care of it in one swoop

Thanks for the replys! I will look into amano shrimp when i go to my lfs.

Luckily, no. But mine are fat, and eat fish food from the top. The only bad thing is if a fish dies and you don't take it out right away, ie overnight, the shrimp will eat it.

That is they're happy.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408529842.876204.jpgtheres one under the plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408567252.703873.jpg I got mine at petsmart for a whopping 39 cents and keep them in my fluval chi and feed them regular fish food. They sometimes come and get it or wait for it to sink to them. They have survived a couple months with very few deaths

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, they are really cheap. Good to hear yours are doing well!

Get them from pet stores like pet smart where they sell them as pets, not feeders, and they should do fine

My local petsmart sells them as pets. I think i'm going to pick up a couple friday, and if they do good get a few more.

I usually get them the day before the new stock arrives, so I can get the survivors

I usually get them the day before the new stock arrives, so I can get the survivors

I do that all the time at walmart when they have bettas for sale! Our walmart doesn't even have a fish department so they all die really quick or have terribly dirty water. I always want to buy them all but of course I can't... I usually get the last one though, it's usually UGLY but man they last forever!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thats a good idea. I know my lfs restocks on Wednesday, so I guess tuesday will be when I go if there are any left. Thanks for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom