Cascade 1500 and Aqua Ultraviolet AAV00286 Advantage UV Sterilizer 15w

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david1764

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm tentatively planning to add a Cascade 1500 as a backup to the FX6 on my 180g (180 g = 6.36 oz) and install a 15w Aqua UV Sterilizer in line with the return. Does this sound reasonable? Will the flow rate be adequate?

All input will be appreciated..Thank you

I can't find anywhere where the specs are listed for the Aqua Ultraviolet about flow rates to get algae. The maximum flow rate will only be enough to kill bacteria; algae needs to go through a UV at much slower flow. I'm not saying the Aqua is inadequate, simply that I can't find this information.

If you really want UV I think you would do well with a Turbo Twist 12x 36W
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7999
You would assuredly hit both algae and bacteria with this unit.
you might even hit algae with the 18w version, with loss of gph due to head room from the filter.

As a note the 36w version is a tank but I highly recommend it. It is easily 6" by 1.5ft. It hangs nicely on the top of the aquarium though.

Thanks for your response.

I appreciate your input.

The specs on the 12x show a flow rate of 1900 gph. The filter spec is 340gph.
Will those work together or should I get a standalone water pump? Naturally, I hoped to hold the cost down but function is more important than the price, The AQUA unit is cheaper but I have had the same problem you have trying to get info. The reviews I've found have been good and they have said Aqua and 12x are the best. At F&S the customer reviews are best for the Aqua.

Are more thoughts let me know, thanks again.

They will work together, no other pump needed. It's just hard to know what their recommended levels are for parasites, algae and bacteria without some documentation about that. It's quite difficult to get a low enough flow for parasites because the flow has to be incredibly slow, but it should be easy to get low enough for algae and bacteria. If you have your heart set on the Aqua I would try to find this info, as it will be much less effective if your flow is too high through it to kill algae.
Based on the reviews of the Aqua at F&S I'm guessing it would get algae.

Back
Top Bottom