Cascade 300 enough filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, I'm getting ready to get my 55 gallon all set up...planning on doing an amazon river setup. My question is, the tank I bought this weekend was a nice little package deal and came with a Cascade 300 filter. I've always been really big on Marineland's filters, so I don't have any experience with these. I'm a little worried about leaks from the impeller housing since it's a two peice design.

What do you all think? Would I be better off swapping it out for a different filter? I'm tempted to take it back and get either the Emperor or even a canister filter. There's not even water in the tank yet, so I'd like to make a decision on the filter before I start doing anything else to the tank.

I don't have any personal experience with the Cascade filters, all my tanks use Emperors, Penguins, or Aquaclears and I've had great success with all of them. One thing I wanted to point out is that if you plan to have a planted tank, a lot of people here recommend canister filters instead of HOB type. :mrgreen:

That's kinda how I felt, and while there are some really nice things about the LFS I'm using, I was a little uneasy with some of the advice they were giving me. I just want to be nice to them until I use my $45 worth of fish & plant credits with them ;)

For a 55 gal tank, I'd use the Cascade 1000 (if wanting to stay in the Cascade line). I just put one on my 55 gal tank last week. I absolutely love it. It's a canister filter and is relatively cheap in price compared to other brands.

How about the H.O.T. Magnum? They had the Fluval & Cascade 1000 there but the Fluval was a bit more expensive and the Magnum did more GPH than the Cascade. My only concern now is biological filtration...do I have that with a canister filter or do I need another way to provide that?

As for the store creds, it came with the purchase of the tank. Tank, stand, filter, AmQuel, 50 lbs of my choice of gravel & $45 of living stuffs from the store ;)

I picked up the HOT Magnum since it was a little cheaper and from the reviews I've read, it seemed to stack up well enough against some of the more expensive models (and better than the other Magnums...) Not completely sure I'm going to keep it but I'm so new to canister filters, so I have a few questions :

It seems to me that with a canister filter, you're going to have lightly less GPH than a powerfilter. Is that right? Cause I see that the Cascade 100 is 265 GPH and the Magnum is 250 GPH (I was wrong, they had the Cascade 700, not 1000....). If I was using a power filter, I'd probably want no less than 300 GPH.

Also, I see that the Magnums have no biological filtration. I've always liked the biowheels so I'm not opposed to adding one, but that basically brings the cost up to the same as the Fluvals and Cascades.

SO...what should I do? Is the Magnum 250 going to be good enough to keep the tank filtered? Do I want a the Bio-Wheel Pro 30 or the 60 to attach to it if I keep it. And if I don't keep it, would I be better off with a Fluval or Cascade and do both of those provide sufficient biological filtration?

Other random thought before I go to bed was to get the Penguin 200 in addition to what I have now since I really do like how the Magnum is hanging off the back. I've read the spray bars for the Bio-Wheel Pro tend to clog over time. Tha'd give me more than enough filtration I think (I prefer to overdo my filtration anyway...I used to run a penguin 330 on a 20 gallon tank :) )

I don't use spray bars, they just seem like it's just another thing in the tank.

For biological filtration you can use ceramic media in the filter. I don't know if the H.O.T. Magnum has a place where you can replace the media (I sold mine before using it) but canisters do. I sold the H.O.T. Magnum that came with my 55 gal and replaced it with the Cascade for added filtration. Meredith has a Magnum, you could PM her and ask her questions specially about it.

Canister do have less GPH but because there is so much media in a canister, you don't have to have the increased levels. I'm not a real fan of the bio-wheels, I'd much rather have ceramic media. When using power filters, the gph varies, but should be no less than 5x turnover per hour. Some have 10x.

The filter that you choose will also depend on what you want to keep. If you are going to lightly stock, you won't need as much filtration. But if you want to completly stock your tank or over stock it, you'd want to upgrade to overfiltering.

Also, if you can return the filter for store credit, you could try buying the filter online. www.bigalsonline.com has great prices. That's where we buy all of ours from. The Cascade 1000 from Big Al's is I believe $60 or $70. The stores around here sell the 1000 for $140.

I have a lot past experience with the Marineland filters and have actually always been a fan of the biowheel. Once they get going, I've always felt they do a pretty good job of getting rid of ammonia. Since I didn't plan to have any airstones in the tank, I also kinda feel that the canister by itself isn't going to do much of a job agitating the surface.

I can replace the carbon in the magnum easily with bioballs, but then I'd be losing the chemical filtration. I think I'll want that to keep the water from developing any odors in my living room ;)

I'm actually happy with the way it's running, and that's good to know that the GPH requirements on the canister are different than the powerfilters. I may just go ahead and get the Bio-Wheel 30 attachment and the Penguin 200. I know some people hate having all that stuff on the back, but I really don't notice it. The backdrop will hide everything anyway.

I know you're a Cascade guy, but does that at least sound like sufficient filtration? And thanks for the link, those are great prices. I have other stuff I need that I'll order from there.

What type of tank are you planning?
If you want to go with Planted high tech with CO2 injection that would be the only type that I would not advise the use of a Power Filter, HOB
If you plan on having a low to medium lit Planted tank then the 300 would be a good choice..
If you want to do a fish only setup then a bigger filter would be the way to go..
I like Hagan products myself the Aquaclear and Fluval have been the best bet for me in the long run 10+ years of service and counting.. I dont like my magnum and I dont care for bio-wheels either (they really dont do much in the way of bio-filtration that ceramic rings can, the ceramic rings have much more surfase area for the bacteria.)
I would never recomend overstocking a tank.. if that happens the only things you can do is keep the temperature low and underfeed to help aleveate stress, alot of health problems are from overstocking, My fish have never had the illnesses that come with overstocking stress only the occational ich that comes with new fish from the store.

I'm going to be doing an Amazon river set up...I'm not going to overstock the tank, but it will at least be at the limit of what I can put in there I think. I think with biowheels you either love them or hate them...I ran one for 5 or 6 years and loved it. Never had any ammonia problems.

But it is going to be a planted tank, and I'd like it to be somewhere between moderately and heavily planted. Depends on how my green thumb works out for me ;) It will be lit pretty well too...10 hours a day.

When you say the 300...what filter are you talking about? ;) And why would you not advise the use of a powerfilter in a planted tank? Thanks for bearing with me guys...I've been out of the hobby for 6 years while in school and my previous tank setups were a lot different (and smaller) than what I'm trying for now. I've got a lot of catching up to do!

I don't hate bio-wheels, just never saw a need for them. I actually have 1 on the 29 gal tank and 1 on the 5 gal tank. For the ones that don't have them, I use ceramic rings. The only problem that I had with the wheels was when they just stopped working on my old filter. I'd clean the spinner but it just didn't run smoothly. My brother has it now on his 55 gal tank and they have stopped completly, no matter what he does. But he doesn't take very good care of his tank the way it is. I'm trying to talk him into getting a canister. :D

Regarding the air, if you don't plan on using an airstone, then I'd have at least one hob. I don't like having too many airstones in my tank either so I put some of those sinking airstones in the back corners of the tank. It helps disguise the wires with the air bubbles. :D

In regards to the carbon, you don't need it. I was weary about taking it out of my filters at first, but now none of them have it (except the 5 gal but that's just beacuse the cartridge is so small that I can't fit anything else in it). The carbon is only active for 7 days anyways and after that just becomes useless compared to something like the balls or rings.

I am a big Cascade chick. We got our first 1000 after months of saving then after the purchase realized that we could have saved 50% by buying it online. Imagine our disapointment. Then we upgraded tanks to the 150 so we bought the 1200 in addition to having the 1000. Then when I started setting up the new 55 gal, bought another 1000. :D People have their brands. Some will tell you to buy the Fluval or Eheim or Rena or whatever. It's all just a matter of preference. I've become accustomed to the Cascade line and have great success with them. I just mentioned the 1000 because you had already mentioned the 300. :D Some stores don't sell a big assortment of filters. Ours only carried the Cascade brand. I thought maybe yours is simliar to how ours is.

The 300 only runs at 70 gph. That's not enough filtration for a 55 gal tank. I'd only stick that on a 10 gal tank. If you add on the Penguin 200, that's an additional 200 gph. The H.O.T. Magnum runs about 250 gph. If you are wanting to get the Penguin and the H.O.T. Magnum, that will give you enough filtration. You'd be looking at a turnover rate of about 8x per hour. Which IMO is good.

I don't mind overstocking and it's really a personal point of view in regards to what is overstocking. If you equally balance the levels in the aquarium with proper fish, you could have 70 inches of fish in a 55 gal tank perfectly fine. Just as long as you have proper filtration and take care of the water correctly, you shouldn't have any problems with diseases or related deaths. But when you get into ovestocking, you have to be careful on what you put together in regards to levels.

It sounds like you have a great plan. I use a power filter in a planted tank and have yet to have issues. Just make sure the output doesn't land right on your plants roots. :D I did that in the 10 gal and everytime I'd do a water change the output water would splash onto the plant roots. Not a pretty sight. :D Eventually they were all moved to the 5 gal and it has been thriving ever since. HTH

I dont have anything against the bio-wheel either. I owned a emperor 400.. the bio-wheel just doesnt have the surfase area that the bio-rings do.. its just not as effecent..

Which filter will you be using? The hob or internal? I thought you said canister, that's why I assumed the internal. But if it's the hob, then yeah, that will be fine.

I have never seen a 55 gallon kit that came with a internal rather then power filter.. I was assuming it came with the power filter found on the pennplax website here..
http://www.pennplax.com/Pages/Aqua.pages..../Aqua18F.html
also.. I wouldnt expect the poster to be worried about leaks on a internal filter..

btw. marinlands filters actually have 2 part designs its just inclosed in the filter casing, making it two parts makes it easier to replace if the motor goes bad (there is a rubber seal that holds up for 10+ years in most cases) I wouldnt worry about leaks.. Brands are more or less the same when it comes to HOB and other filters for that manner.. Versatility in filter media and noise levels being the only differences that I can think of.. these seem to be comparable to marinelands newer products (better then there old products in my mind)

I already saw that link GM. And I have seen kits that come with internal filters. That was one of the options for my 55 gal tank when we bought it. You had the option of an internal, the hob, or the H.O.T. Magnum. We opted for the Magnum and ended up selling it and upgrading. And it really wasn't a kit. It was more like the store put together a little package of stuff they had on their shelves. It's not one of those pre-boxed things that most stores sell. IMO it's a good idea to not use the pre-packaged ones. You have to end up upgrading everything anways.

That's very helpful, thank you. It would really start getting pretty expensive for me to take the stuff back to the store adn then start over with the filters online. Only reason being is that the filter was originally part of my combo, so I was able to exchange it at Petco and get a really good price on that Magnum ;) I don't really need a million store credits though!

I think I'll go with this filter setup for now...I'll try taking out the carbon and replacing it with with those little ceramic cylinders over at Big Al's. I'll keep an eye on how this setup works, but at least it sounds like this will keep my tank filtered well. I'll watch the output on the powerfilter...I know where I can put it that there wouldn't be plants right under it (so long as I get that darn driftwood to stay down...)

And the filter was the HOB Cascade 300 that came with it (it was just a 'combo' that the LFS threw together) and the only reason I ended up taking it back was because I took it out of the box and saw that the impeller assembly attached to the bottom of the filter rather than just being a one-peice deal. I had instant visions of coming home one day and seeing a half empty tank and the Amazon river in my carpet :lol:

If I throw the cylinders in the Magnum, combined with the Bio-Wheel 30 and Penguin 200, that should give me plenty of biological filtration. Much more than the Cascade 300 would have too.

Back
Top Bottom