Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would stop the kitty drinking asap. Cat pee and poop in litterboxes which means they get the harmful poo on the cats paws which then could get in ur aquarium

Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love cats, they are amazing creatures. I see no health issues with the cat drinking the water. However, when my cats jump anywhere they aren't supposed to we tell them no immediately and take them down. Sometimes we include a tap on the nose if they are stubborn. Cats are trainable.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont let our dogs drink the water when we change it but if the chemicals dont hurt the fish I guess the cat might be safe...then again most aquarium chemicals say "not for use with fish to be eaten" so I dont know. Also you might want to switch to prime water conditioner. That stress coat stuff doesnt nuetrilize ammonia. I used it and my tank crashed and recrashed whenever I changed the water. I switched to prime and no problems.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The cat could contaminate the tank. Ever considered a canopy? They are easy to.build and look nice. Would be possible to put a latch on the door too...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know about the poopy paws hence the reason why I think she contaminated my 10g with serratia.

A canopy! Brilliant!

We have tried to break her of the habit with an immediate no followed by the tap on the nose or a spray bottle of water. She wasn't drinking out of the tanks for a while but I think she just forgot I was home today! So I bet she is doing it while we are out.

Mmmmmmm cheeeeeese cake! Great now I neeeeeed that.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and I have no problems with ammonia in any of my tanks. All are stable.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiweeangel View Post
Well I use stress coat plus for water treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
That stress coat stuff doesnt nuetrilize ammonia. I used it and my tank crashed and recrashed whenever I changed the water. I switched to prime and no problems.
I've read this incorrect statement before in this forum that API Stress Coat Plus doesn't neutralize ammonia, and I feel it's important to correct this misconception. I use API Stress Coat Plus (note the "Plus" part) and the bottles say it neutralizes chloramines and ammonia: "...works instantly to remove chlorine, chloramines and ammonia from tap water."
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use plus as well.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanDru View Post
I've read this incorrect statement before in this forum that API Stress Coat Plus doesn't neutralize ammonia, and I feel it's important to correct this misconception. I use API Stress Coat Plus (note the "Plus" part) and the bottles say it neutralizes chloramines and ammonia: "...works instantly to remove chlorine, chloramines and ammonia from tap water."
I apologize then. I thought it didnt. Either way though I would suggest prime due to price and Ive had really good experience with it. Sorry though I did not know about that.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
I apologize then. I thought it didnt. Either way though I would suggest prime due to price and Ive had really good experience with it. Sorry though I did not know about that.
Oh, no problem. I just wanted to correct the often stated misperception and make sure people have the correct information that API Stress Coat Plus does indeed remove chlorine, chloramines and ammonia from tap water.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com