Cat+Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home today to find this:

img_766599_0_a13c9b54b677628dcd238c6d6df8ec6d.jpg

Of course, as soon as I got a picture I got her down. I'm trying to think of some way to keep her off of there. She's kind of been a pest lately with climbing on things. Earlier today she was on top of the cupboards (jumped on top of the fridge, then up onto the cupboads)

img_766599_1_5ffa07aa482b97025460354275b93cbb.jpg

If she breaks my new tank, I will not be happy! Even worse if she knocks it over or something... I'm not sure that would be possible though, I guess they weigh a lot. And an 8 pound cat on top of a 200 pound aquarium... I guess it's not much, but I still don't like it. Cute anyway for a picture I guess.

Maybe she's trying to tell me she's jealous of the new fish! She wants me to pay attention to her instead :)

My 5 do it all the time. I had to get a canopy for the tanks. LOL, they'll do it when you aren't home anyway.

Zagz said:
My 5 do it all the time. I had to get a canopy for the tanks. LOL, they'll do it when you aren't home anyway.

Unfortunately.... I know you're right. My old tank didn't have a top, and she used to stand up and drink out of it. The fish would swim to the top, thinking she was going ot feed them. She ignored them, she just wanted the water. On the canopy of the tank I found her on top of, the front half is solid (where she was sitting) and the back half is glass. So she was looking over that too, probably wondering why she couldn't get to the water to drink it :)

Dory is ALWAYS on top of our tanks. She really likes the 29 gal because it sits next to her Cat Condo. She can easily climb on top of it. Lately she's taken a liking to the 55. Last year I left the glass hood open and she snagged a few fish. It wasn't a pretty day. Now she sticks her paw in the back of the tank. At least we got both of the cats to stay off the fridge and cabinets.

Haha... both of my cats do both of those things! I hate them being on top of my tank... same thing as you said though even though my cats are HUGE... 14 lbs cat on 600 lbs of aquarium can't be the end of the world exactly.

My 125 gal is in the family room which is 1/2 floor down from the kitchen, 6" up from the kitchen floor. The cats use the tank rather than the stairs to get from the kitchen to the family room. LOL. Good luck getting cats off tanks. If you convince them you WANT them on the tank, they might stay off it. :)

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't worry so much about it. She does look awfully happy on top of that tank. My cat is the pickiest eater ever, that's why she's so small I think. She's the only cat I've ever seen that doesn't like treats. I've bought probably 10 different kinds, and she just doens't like them. She only likes one kind of dry food too. When she got spayed last year, the vet was worried because she didn't eat at al while she was there. I just laughed because I knew exactly why, it was the wrong food. As soon as she came home she RAN to her food dish. Even though she just got back from the vet. Animals are fun :) I guess I should just be thankful my cat enjoys the fish as much as I do!

Would now be a bad time to plug AA sister's site, www.FelineAdvice.com ??

My cat loves to lay on top of my canopy because of the warmth from the lighting. I figure she can do what she wants as long as it doesn't bother me or the fish =oP

Hahaha.

My cats like to perform water changes on my 1g all the time. Except they don't put the water back in!

Our oldest cat is scared to death of water. If it's moving, he won't go near it. The other one is fearless. I've caught him swatting at fish through the hood before. Little brat. He's funny though. Loves to lay right in front of my 10g (the bottom one sits 3" off the carpet) and just watch the fish.

Silly creatures.

Cats are natural predators. They like catch and play small animals, including fish of course. So is the human.

I'm not sure my cat realizes she's a predator :) She just enjoys the water for some weird reason.

I have 8 cats, I know how you feel, the best way to break them of these habits is to keep a water bottle around, and when ever they get up there spray them with abit of water and sorta scold, I broke all my cats habits in justa few short weeks, beautiful cat though :)

I use the water bottle too and my cats are to the point that they don't care. Nemo lets me squirt him in the face and he just sits there. Dory runs at the sight of the bottle, but she just comes back and does it anyway.

Do be careful...my little guy had the same trick of sitting on the tank cover. I thought it was cute as he couldn't catch anything. I had the tank open feeding the fish one night and apparently he was jealous or decided to help or something...next thing I knew I had a tidal wave of water...and the back half of a cat sticking out of the tank! Scared the crap out of me...thankfully the cat's fine...the danio that got washed out of the tank with the tidal wave is indistinguishable from the others and I think the cat learned a lesson (haven't seen him on the tank since). (Not that I'm suggesting this as a deterrent!)

Back
Top Bottom