Catfish for Goldfish Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has to be real so it can munch on it. You can just get a small one like mine.

ArtesiaWells said:
Well, we don't plan on keeping real driftwood...what about fake "log decorations"?

It pretty much a must IME the majority of their diet came from my driftwood you can supplement with wafers but I would put a small peice for him to munch on

ArtesiaWells said:
Thanks Blert,

Indeed, my experience has been that they constantly "book" or hunt for food throughout the day and throughout the gravel as well -- but since putting in some large decorations (well, really one large one, a "tree stump" piece picked up at Petsmart), it seems there are a lot of hidden pockets and places for food to get caught. I noticed this yesterday when I was doing some re-arranging of the decor and gravel and that kicked up a whole bunch of nasty stuff that the one Black Moor didn't find beneath the substrate; I did a small water change and gravel vac after that (the tank is still cycling), but I figured a catfish would help with this...

It's interesting that you say goldfish may be at a risk with certain suckers while some are saying that Plecos, etc. would be fine...I don't know who to believe...:blink:

Careful with those hard decorations. Moors can't see too well, and with those protruding eyes they can hurt themselves.

As far as the "sucker" type fish living with Goldfish... Search the 'net. As I said, you will find posts that state all is/was and will be fine. You will also find the other stories that don't have so good of an outcome. It's up to you to decide whether you want to take the risk. All I'm saying is keep a close eye on things if you go that route.

What about mystery snails? No risk for the goldies. I'd be worried if you got a large goldfish and small cories or BN pleco the goldfish could try to eat them and choke. Cories and BN plecos have spines/barbs near their gills that can become lodged in the mouth of the fish trying to eat them.

Mumma.of.two said:
What about mystery snails? No risk for the goldies. I'd be worried if you got a large goldfish and small cories or BN pleco the goldfish could try to eat them and choke. Cories and BN plecos have spines/barbs near their gills that can become lodged in the mouth of the fish trying to eat them.

Good call Mumma! I didn't even think of the Goldfish chewing on a Cory but you know the little buggers would probably try. Goldfish, like kids, will stick anything in their mouths, and they will do it more than once ;)

LOL...

Thanks for all the advice, everyone; something for me -- and maybe my goldfish -- to chew on!

As for the decorations and my Moor -- indeed, I am aware of this issue (their eyes/vision and sharp objects), and if you notice in another thread, I mentioned that I am now kicking myself for introducing this tree stump decoration as well as some pointed Java-like plants; it seems the Moor has cut herself at one point toward the end of her body, but it appears to be like a "flap" of outer skin/scales got hooked on something...I am keeping a close eye on it and doing small water changes as well as extra dosings of Prime for slime coat build...

Hi

I know it has been ages since we discussed a new addition to your tank. But I have FINALLY managed to get a picture of my very shy leopard pleco Zuko! Thought I would share it with you so you can see just how gorgeous pleco's can be.

Princess :fish1:

Attachments

• Zuko.jpg
    Zuko.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 71
I agree with a large snail or two. Mystery snails come in various colors and ramhorns have a blue and pink variant. One thing I learned by accident is fancy goldies will eat small snails, I put some MTS's in the tank (they were on a piece of driftwodd that I had grown Java moss on) and by the next morning there were none. Got on line and found goldies eat them... Oops! And I agree any sucker mouths are accidents waiting to happen, you may be lucky, you may not. I ended up removing all decorations except on piece of DW that is thin with no protruding parts, that is against the back with anubia and java fern growing on it. I also added plants they could nibble on to fill the space up some. Can't tell you how many times I had to rescue one of the tubbies that got in a place they couldn't get out of. Mine are now all 4 to 6"+ in size and they get mighty clumsy.

Hi

I know it has been ages since we discussed a new addition to your tank. But I have FINALLY managed to get a picture of my very shy leopard pleco Zuko! Thought I would share it with you so you can see just how gorgeous pleco's can be.

Princess :fish1:

Hey Princess!

Thanks for the pic -- indeed, Zuko is gorgeous!

It seems like now we won't really need a cat for our goldies because initially it was to get rid of the diatom problem we were having...but since that tank crashed and cracked, I have been doing daily water changes on the 10 gallon where the goldies are housed and there have been no water quality issues -- I am hoping to keep on top of maintenance like this when we get a new bigger tank for them sometime this month, hopefully...:)

If you want some sort of coldwater bottom feeder that's one thing, but the goldfish will be more than happy to tend to the bottom feeding duties. Being scavengers they'll tend to the top, middle, and bottom until all of the food is gone. :lol:

If you want some sort of coldwater bottom feeder that's one thing, but the goldfish will be more than happy to tend to the bottom feeding duties. Being scavengers they'll tend to the top, middle, and bottom until all of the food is gone. :lol:

While on the surface and in many theories the goldfish should be incredible scavengers, it seems my four little piggies actually leave food behind somehow -- evidenced when I either do a gravel vac or pour fresh water in during a change as it kicks up tons of debris, with uneaten food included...:nono:

Back
Top Bottom