Catfish for Goldfish Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any cat species that could possibly mix with fancy variety goldfish? I realize cats are tropical (therefore requiring warmer water than the goldies) and can possibly suck the slime coat off a docile species like goldies, but are there any that can mix? I'd like a bottom feeder to assist with cleanup of uneaten food, etc. that my gravel vaccuming misses...

:thanks:

Weather loaches. But I'm not sure how big your tank is. You could try the cooler water temp Cories. I know most like cooler temps but some more than others.

Thanks for the prompt replies, guys/gals...

With regard to the size of my tank, it's a 60 gallon, still cycling (see my long threads on the bacterial infection that wiped it out previously in the Sick Fish & General Freshwater sections) with one small Black Moor in it -- however, we plan on housing several fancy goldfish varieties once it's stable, and would like to get a catfish for bottom cleaning duties...

Will a Pleco or any of the others mentioned really work with goldies? No dangers of "sucked off slime coat" that I've read about? :eek: :nono: :hide:

Definitely a pleco for your tank. It would be the best option. I have a leopard plec with my fancy goldies and he is just fine with them. If you are concerned about size (as they can grow to be very large) I agree with vanimal about the bristlenose as they stay fairly small. Hope this helps. :)

Definitely a pleco for your tank. It would be the best option. I have a leopard plec with my fancy goldies and he is just fine with them. If you are concerned about size (as they can grow to be very large) I agree with vanimal about the bristlenose as they stay fairly small. Hope this helps. :)

Thank you, Princess!

Yeah the Bristlenose will do very well in that temp. He should be a great edition to your tank! Good luck!

Thank you Van!

So, pretty much, I'm looking at either a Brittlenose or any other kind of Pleco, yes?

Princess -- do you have any closeup pics of your Pleco in your goldie tank?

Lol your the first person that knew my real name is Van haha! Hold on ill check... Want a picture of my Bristlenose??

Lol your the first person that knew my real name is Van haha! Hold on ill check... Want a picture of my Bristlenose??

LOL -- I didn't actually know, I just abbreviated your screen name, which is what I do with most members as a matter of personal communication...but that's funny!

Yes -- any pics of your Brittlenose would be appreciated! :thanks:

Goldfish tend to do a really good job of scavenging leftovers on their own. Mine are constantly on the move hunting for something to eat. I would be real careful putting any of the "sucker" variety bottom dwellers in a goldfish tank. Some people have had good luck, some bad, and some are just waiting to turn bad. If you must then I would go with a school of cooler temp Cories. If you go with a Pleco (or other "sucker" variety) watch them carefully.

Goldfish tend to do a really good job of scavenging leftovers on their own. Mine are constantly on the move hunting for something to eat. I would be real careful putting any of the "sucker" variety bottom dwellers in a goldfish tank. Some people have had good luck, some bad, and some are just waiting to turn bad. If you must then I would go with a school of cooler temp Cories. If you go with a Pleco (or other "sucker" variety) watch them carefully.

Thanks Blert,

Indeed, my experience has been that they constantly "book" or hunt for food throughout the day and throughout the gravel as well -- but since putting in some large decorations (well, really one large one, a "tree stump" piece picked up at Petsmart), it seems there are a lot of hidden pockets and places for food to get caught. I noticed this yesterday when I was doing some re-arranging of the decor and gravel and that kicked up a whole bunch of nasty stuff that the one Black Moor didn't find beneath the substrate; I did a small water change and gravel vac after that (the tank is still cycling), but I figured a catfish would help with this...

It's interesting that you say goldfish may be at a risk with certain suckers while some are saying that Plecos, etc. would be fine...I don't know who to believe...:blink:

Here he is! He doesn't bother any other fish :) sorry the camera on my phone isn't that good...

ForumRunner_20120707_191101.jpg

ForumRunner_20120707_191138.jpg

ForumRunner_20120707_191217.jpg

Here are some more and if you do get a Pleco they need driftwood. (it aids in digestion) Here he is eating some.

ForumRunner_20120707_191800.jpg

ForumRunner_20120707_191826.jpg

ForumRunner_20120707_191854.jpg

Back
Top Bottom