Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Catfish lying on his side HELP !!!!

Hello everybody i have a relatively new tank and my first fish were Tetras they seemed to settle in nicely... But one morning one was floating at the top of the tank on one side... I decided to get the clove oil out but tried to catch him and he seemed ok... This floating on one side haddened for about three or so days but now he is JUST FINE AND WELL...
I have since added a couple of Goramis and a Catfish...
My problem is that the Catfish is now at the very bottom of the tank on his side!!!! He keeps trying to swim and he does then he just kind of goes to the bottom and goes on his side again...
I have checked his fins etc and all seem ok but he does look a little bloated...
Is he going to be ok like the Tetras or is something more serious going on ???

Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey there..
First off, we're gonna need to know the size of your tank, your water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAtes) ,filtration.. etc.
before we can help figure out whats wrong!
What type of catfish is it? A corydora?
Sorry about him

Old 01-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on needing more information.

If it is a corydora, they sometimes lay on their sides for no particular reason.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Along those same lines, if it is a clown loach, they sleep on their sides. This freaked me out when I first got mine but now I find it hilarious.

Tags
catfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com