Catfish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
So Im switching my 20 gallon tank to be a 100% catfish tank. Any suggestions on the stocking? I will start with 1 peppered cory and a common pleco but don't know where to go from there. IMG_1476570537.050770.jpg
Ive got minimum filtration because It's so quiet and the tank is in my bedroom. And I have hard water so that basically rules out glass cats. I do weekly water changes of 50% to combat the small filtration.

Common plecos get massive.. Cory's need a group. Most Cory's will do better in soft water. Maybe some platty's??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Idk what kind pleco i have but it only gets 3 inches. Ill be getting more cories aswell. And platies arent catfish. I wanna do an all cat setup

You could definitely keep South American Bumblebee catfish in the 20 gallon tank.
Also I wouldn't keep the pleco in the 20 gallon even if it only gets 3 inches imho because they're poop machines and can cause fluctuations in water chemistry ( ammonia spikes ) which can be harmful to all fish in the tank.

Idk what kind pleco i have but it only gets 3 inches. Ill be getting more cories aswell. And platies arent catfish. I wanna do an all cat setup

I'm just curious about where you got the information? If it was a pet store, they'ok tell much misleading information on some occasions. Depending the store.

Ive wished for a while to get rid of that pleco but hes been in there for a while and I've got nowhere to put him. Thanks for the bumblebee cat idea! [emoji6]

I'm just curious about where you got the information? If it was a pet store, they'ok tell much misleading information on some occasions. Depending the store.

I probably got the info from petsmart but ive had the pleco for 3 years and he hasn't grown much at all so it seems ok. Unless im stunting the growth [emoji51]

Ive wished for a while to get rid of that pleco but hes been in there for a while and I've got nowhere to put him. Thanks for the bumblebee cat idea! [emoji6]

I understand man, no judgement. I once bought a catfish from one pet store and it was suppose to be an upside down cat (a great choice for your tank also) turn out it was it's very similar cousin the African feather fin. I had it for years then gave it to a buddy with a 75g and cichlids then when it got to big for that it got introduce in their private pond. It was at least 1ft. Long and about 4 in wide last time I saw it. No worries, I don't release invasive fish into the water ways. This was a controlled pond.

Yeesh! Those feather fins get massive! Basically I'm just gonna leave my pleco in there till i get someone to take him from me he keeps the tank nice and clean but his poop is such a nuisance to try to suck up

Yeesh! Those feather fins get massive! Basically I'm just gonna leave my pleco in there till i get someone to take him from me he keeps the tank nice and clean but his poop is such a nuisance to try to suck up

That's exactly why I'm not a fan of them, I had a buddy one that would breed all kinds of rare ones but the poop and the waste just wasn't worth the trade off imho, I much preferred Otos

Cg is right they're poop machines but I still love them. I have an albino bn pleco in a 20 high like yours. He's about 4 inches and he's awesome. If you get eco complete substrate, it turns the poop, excess food, and whatever else to plant food.

I j

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Clicked enter before I was done typing!

I have 6 green peppered ones or whatever they're called and 2 of them are huge for Cory's but they school so nicely.

I know you said catfish only, but loaches are extremely cool. If you're open to them, you won't regret getting them. Some of the Kuhli loaches I've gotten have been quite hardy and outlasted neons, platys, and guppies in a tank before.

If you want unique, twig catfish is amazing to look at. They're can fit in a 20 if you have plenty of shade and driftwood

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom