Celebes Rainbowfish advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Having just come back from the LFS to check up on their Bolivian Ram stocks, I have just fallen in love with another fish...the Celees Rainbowfish. Absolutely amazing little guys. Having never kept anything like this before (apart from Neon Tetra - which I guess are not similar at all :)) I was wondering whether anyone could share their experiences with keeping these guys. What sort of water parameters, tank mates, their likes and dislikes etc. My 130L tank has a few guppies in atm and will be getting a pair of Bolivian Rams in a couple of weeks with any luck.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can give.

I saw these pretty little guys at my LFS recently too. I'm a little unclear whether they are purely freshwater or brackish water fish, though.

From what I understand they are freshwater, although early reports/studies suggest they like brackish conditions. So I am thinking of using these as ditherers for my Bolivian Rams, instead of say neon tetra. I'm a little unsure as to whether they will eventually get too large. My stocking will look something like this:

10-12 guppies
2 Bolivian rams
6 Celebes Rainbows
4 Amano Shrimp

THis will be in a c. 130 litre aquarium. Does this sound ok? I don't want to overstock and I understand they are fairly sensitive to water conditions so don't want to end up with more than 2 water changes per week.

I have had some for some time and I have to say they are not to particular about parameters, in fact when I was changing my stock over from my 90 to my 150 I had to drain the water in my 90 right down to the gravel to catch all the fish, when I thought I was done I refilled th 90 with untreated unheated tap water from the garden hose and maybe 5-6 days later I noticed 7 little eyelashes swimming against the current in the 90 apparently my Celebes had bred and laid eggs before being transferred over to the 150, I still find it amazing the eggs survived and hatched took about 6-8 weeks before I was sure they were Celebes fry. but now that I've rambled enough I'll try to give you something usefull both tanks that I've kept my Celebes in were medium toheavily planted with Eco complete substate and ph in the neutral range and I know I don't change my water as often as I should so if you're changing 1-2 times a week that should beore than enough

Back
Top Bottom