Center brace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby56

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK the 38 gallon tank I got from someone use to have a plastic peice in the middle but is broke. Will that affect the tank in any way when its full of water? I have filled it to make sure it didn't leak but was wondering if over time it will affect anything?

Usually if a tank is made with a brace, it needs that brace for support. With only a 38 gallon it might be ok, but test it somewhere safe before use!

Here is the tank. Its 36" long so I guess that would keep the glass from bowing. I filled it in the bath tub and left it for hrs

ForumRunner_20120314_171912.jpg

I'm not using that stand and I have cleaned it up alot. Only paid $20 for it so I couldn't pass it up

I would get a new top trim piece that has the brace. My lfs kept them in stock usually for about $15. Just takes some work to redo the trim.

Here's my new 40 Gallon breeder. It is also 36in long but it doesnt have a center support. Seems the 38 gallon should be fine without it unless maybe the glass is thinner?

img_1851720_0_ed757228d059aaf858b979d878a5aab3.jpg

Here is the tank. Its 36" long so I guess that would keep the glass from bowing. I filled it in the bath tub and left it for hrs

View attachment 82439

Unless you have a bathtub that is perfectly flat, I wouldnt recommend this, I found out the hard way. Had a 20 gallon break because the bottom wasnt supported well enough in my tub.

ccross said:
Here's my new 40 Gallon breeder. It is also 36in long but it doesnt have a center support. Seems the 38 gallon should be fine without it unless maybe the glass is thinner?

How thick is your glass?

ccross said:
Unless you have a bathtub that is perfectly flat, I wouldnt recommend this, I found out the hard way. Had a 20 gallon break because the bottom wasnt supported well enough in my tub.

Yeah I guess I got lucky lol. I think I'm going to fill it again and see if it bows out any

ccross said:
Just under 1/4in

As for filling in the tub, I just fill mine in the the garage with the hose now :)

I think mine is around that I will have to check. What are the dimensions of your tank?

I had a 38gal just like yours for a turtle tank and it was also missing the center brace. Had it up for 8 months with no issues. Got rid of the turtles and sold the tank, but I'm sure yours should be fine. Just keep a bunch of towels around just in case :p

If the brace is broken I suggest fixing it before you use it. The manufactures put them there for a reason, meaning the glass is not thick enough to handle the pressure without a small bit of help. If the tank actually did not come with one, like the previously shown 40, then either the glass is thick/strong enough to handle it or it is a reptile tank and not meant to be filled with water.

Good luck if you decide to use it without fixing, and as said above, keep a bunch of towels handy. ;)

I didnt realize reptile tanks were thinner glass.

Back
Top Bottom