Center piece fish ? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello everyone,
I need some help, i want to obtain a center piece fish (or a male female pair center piece).

I have a 60g Hexagon tank

current stock:
swordtails: 1M 3F
golddust mollies: 1M 2F
kuhli loaches: 5
guppies: 1M 3F
silver tip tetra: 4

*additional question: how do you sex tetras? do silver tip tetras breed in captivity?

gouramis or angel fish make great centerpiece fish. i would suggest a pair of pearl gouramis

I'm a big fan of a nice veil angel as a centerpiece fish

I like the suggestion for a pair of pearl gouramis (or you could do a trio IMO). These fish are often easily overlooked in a shop, but once you get them settled in and they start to get some size on them, they are absolutely beautiful. IME they are more peaceful than angels and would probably pose less of a threat to your guppies.

i have read a few articles on angel fish and they say that they do not do well with guppies (due to fin nipping) any insight?

- i had a dwarf gourami for about 4 days, he die, well so did all of the other ones that were in that community tank in the LFS, so it wasnt my fault. but he did well in my tank and there was no aggression.

can you get pairs of dwarf gouramis? i have only seen males at the LFSs near me.

severum mama said:
I like the suggestion for a pair of pearl gouramis (or you could do a trio IMO). These fish are often easily overlooked in a shop, but once you get them settled in and they start to get some size on them, they are absolutely beautiful. IME they are more peaceful than angels and would probably pose less of a threat to your guppies.

I agree u don't want a "attack angel"

i think i will look into those pearl gouramis, i have only early heard good things about them :)
do they breed in "captivity" aka home fishtanks?

i think i will look into those pearl gouramis, i have only early heard good things about them :)
do they breed in "captivity" aka home fishtanks?

It's much easier to find healthy pearls than healthy DG's.

Pearls definitely do breed in captivity, but you'll need another setup to successfully raise any fry IMO... you wouldn't have any survivors in a community tank setting.

I have a 10g fry tank up and running. :) I rescue the ones I see, but don't separate the pregnant females any more because my 30g tank is now taken over by 2 fancy gold fish. .. regardless .. you all have me excited now! everyone loves new friends right!!!

are gourmis some what Hardy? is there anything I should look for when purchasing them?

1 or mabey 2 red parrot fish
they are chichlids i have 2 with 2 kuhli loaches, 2 tetras,2 glow fish, 1 upside down catfish,and 2 platys

good luck:D

I would not recommend parrot cichlids with the OP's setup, nor in general for a 60 gal hex. They need more swimming room than what a hex tank of that size would afford.

Pearls are pretty easy to keep. Watch for the usual signs of illness just like you would any other species, and don't buy any fish that doesn't look healthy. Depending on size, you may or may not be able to sex them.

do you think a trio would do fine along with my other stock? or would a pair be better to stick with?

-I really like the idea of getting some gouramis :)

Pearls and DGs are good ones. Another good choice is paradise fish. They're very colorful.

I know nothing about paradise fish, i did a little research, they seem to live with slightly more aggressive fish than i currently have. also i am afraid that if i was to add them to my tank, my other fish my nip at their flowy fins .. they are really pretty and i really like the suggestion.

maybe someone else can shed some light on the compatibly suggestion

You should pick yourself up some hillstream loaches they are really cool and only get to be about 4".

i looked up some information on these loaches and i think they are so cool, i would really like to get some one day. and if i could right now i would but everything i have read (including old forums on here) say that these loaches do best in cooler water (my tank is around 76-78) according to what i have read they do best in tanks that have a rapid or increased current, which i do not really have in my over 2foot tall Hexagon tank.

so i went to my LFS today, i was in search of 2 more silver tip tetras to add to my school, 3 pearl gouramis (2 female, 1 male) and some ghost shrimp for a shrimp tank i am going to try start....

ANYWAYS i got the 2 tetras, and the LFS only had 1 pearl gourami, so i called another and they only had 1 as well. so being impatient i decided to buy the one, then run to the other store and purchase theirs so i would have a pair. I didnt have time to make it to the other store before they closed. so i acclimated the 2 tetras and gourami, added them to the tank in the dark. and when i turned the lights on my male guppy (not full grown yet), 1 female gold dust molly and 1 female swordtail are just nipping at the gourami... there are floating plants in there to break the line of sight... WHAT SHOULD I DO!???? the gourami found refuge in the back/top of the tank where my canister filter lines are, should i wait a day and see how things work out... i have never had fish be such bullies ...

Back
Top Bottom