Centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank will be as follows
29 gal
6 guppies
3 cory cats
1 Albino bristlenose pleco
6-10 ghost shrimp

I'm trying to pick a good centerpiece fish to add but when I come across a contender something comes up like "likes top plant cover" or "requires school". I was looking at dwarf gourami but read these prefer a small group. I looked at discus since I love how they look, but my tank is no where near the size needed. Are there any med/large (2"-4") fish you could/would suggest as a centerpiece?

Fishman13 said:
IMO 2 honey gouramis or 1 male and 1 female swordtail.

Awesome! I was thinking swordtails but wasn't sure of more than one would work. Is there a certain kind that would be better than the other?

Sailfin mollies, but at least 2 females with each male rather than pairs of any livebearer. What will you do with all the fry though?

toddnbecka said:
Sailfin mollies, but at least 2 females with each male rather than pairs of any livebearer. What will you do with all the fry though?

That's what I'm trying to avoid.. was hoping I could get 1 fish as a centerpiece to avoid the fry

You could keep a single male swordtsil or molly w/out any problems, but you're still likely to have some guppy fry survive and grow out. If you can find Akysis catfish they're great for controlling guppy fry. They don't grow large enough to eat anything much bigger than fry, and are fine alone or in groups.

toddnbecka said:
You could keep a single male swordtsil or molly w/out any problems, but you're still likely to have some guppy fry survive and grow out. If you can find Akysis catfish they're great for controlling guppy fry. They don't grow large enough to eat anything much bigger than fry, and are fine alone or in groups.

Oh there won't be Guppy fry all guppies will be male, I know this tends to be an issue but I can safely report all is well in my tank.

GoneFishing said:
Oh there won't be Guppy fry all guppies will be male, I know this tends to be an issue but I can safely report all is well in my tank.

I have all male guppies in my tank. There's no problems if you have enough that the nipping and rough play is spread out.

I think male guppies are gorgeous and I love all of mine.

Fishman13 said:
IMO red velvet wag swordtails are brightly colored and look awesome. I prefer a male because they grow their long swords.

:fish1::fish2::fish1::fish2:
:fish2::fish1::fish2::fish1:

Yup just looked that bad boy up and I think he will make the cut.. thanks for the advise and suggestions!

Yup just looked that bad boy up and I think he will make the cut.. thanks for the advise and suggestions!

No problem I have one of those, the velvet wag swordtail, and a Female Tuxedo Swordtail and on Monday i saw them mating!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for the fry. I want to see how they will look!!!!!!!!

:fish2::fish1::fish2:
:fish1::fish2::fish1:
:fish2::fish1:

Fishman13 said:
No problem I have one of those, the velvet wag swordtail, and a Female Tuxedo Swordtail and on Monday i saw them mating!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for the fry. I want to see how they will look!!!!!!!!

:fish2::fish1::fish2:
:fish1::fish2::fish1:
:fish2::fish1:

Lol my wife said no way on fry, which is why I have a male populous right now. Good luck and take some pics for us!

Back
Top Bottom