Centerpiece Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helios

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 25g tank that has a school of tiger and albino tiger barbs. There are 8 total. I would really like a cool centerpiece fish. Any ideas?

I have a 25g tank that has a school of tiger and albino tiger barbs. There are 8 total. I would really like a cool centerpiece fish. Any ideas?

Well your somewhate limited with the barbs as they like to nip fins and will likely harass the fish. Maybe try a rainbow or red tailed shark?

Well your somewhate limited with the barbs as they like to nip fins and will likely harass the fish. Maybe try a rainbow or red tailed shark?

Way too big and active for a 25 gallon tank.

Try a color morph of a bristle nose pleco. That would be fun.

I think a shark would get too big, and rainbows need to be in a group right?

I would like to do a gourami, but there are so many differing opinions about if it will work or not. Could I possibly do a single medium sized cichlid? I really only want to add 1 fish that will hold its own and really stand out.

Pair of rams

I have a GBR in another tank. She is the calmest fish in the tank. Would they really be okay with Tiger barbs? I feel like she would be eaten alive. Does having a pair make a difference? I've been trying to find a male for her but the lfs usually only have females.

What about an electric yellow lab, blue demasoni, peacock, or a jewel cichlid?

Those Africans will get to big, any ram would be fine they can hold their own. What about a gold or an electric blue ram

The electric blues are really pretty. Could I put an electric blue with my GBR female and put that as a pair with the tigers, or would it be best to try to find a male GBR to make the pair? Does it even need to be a male female pair?

Yeah that was my fault idk why I said rainbow, I was taking to someone else about a 40 and I guess it carried over. But anyway it's tough with barbs and I don't think they'd bode we'll with rams

Hmm idk I've always tried to get a pair of the same rams but I would assume you could keep singles of different types as far as pairs go either m:f or f:f works do not do two males they will just fight

Sounds good. I'll see what I can find and move my female over. Do you think I would still have room for some corys or snails for a clean up crew?

In my opinion having 8 barbs in a 25 gallon tank only leaves room for a few bottom dwellers. Another fish that competes for the middle/top level of the tank might not work. Maybe a school or corys, or a school of dwarf chain loaches. I wouldn't put any medium sized cichlids, but maybe a blue or Bolivian ram.

Back
Top Bottom