Centerpiece Fish for 15g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
A worker at a store I've built a rapport with suggested a gold gourami. Normally I would have dismissed it thinking that they are too big, but the guy has always given me great info before. Any opinions on a gold gourami?

Any other suggestions?

i think 6 inches is too big for a 15 gallon tank. if you like gourami, try a honey gourami or a dwarf gourami since both max out at around 3 inches

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Thanks for the confirmation. Any ideas on some kind of freshwater yellow fish then that'd be good in a community?

College Kid said:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Thanks for the confirmation. Any ideas on some kind of freshwater yellow fish then that'd be good in a community?

Hm all I can think about are yellow mollies, guppys and yellow glofish

Fishandmusic81 said:
Hm all I can think about are yellow mollies, guppys and yellow glofish

What about some sunburst platys? not fully yellow but some of their bodies can get a bright yellow.

if your up to the challenge and believe your tank has pristine water conditions, you can try a gold ram or a pair. that may make you stocked tho...

I added a dwarf gourami (fire red) as my centerpiece in my 15 gallon. It has 9 cardinal tetras, 3 male guppies and a zebra snail. I'm very happy with him. It's only been 3 days but everyone's been fine so far.

if your up to the challenge and believe your tank has pristine water conditions, you can try a gold ram or a pair. that may make you stocked tho...

My vote would be the Gold Ram as well. I really think they're neat. I had one once... check him out in my old tank setup :)

Gold Ram Cichlid - YouTube

Other suggestions... German Blue Ram, Apisto, Krib, or a Dwarf Gourami as a centerpiece fish.

Wow! Loads of good suggestions, thanks! Unfortunately I can't really do a school because one fish (at around a dwarf gourami bio load) should make me stocked.

Gold rams are an interesting suggestion though. TBH, I don't know anything really about cichlids. And think it may be a bit outta my scope. So maybe not yellow is a better way to go. My girlfriend will be sad, she's been asking for yellow fish for a while.

rams are pretty small cichlids, you could try a pair, the most of the same rules for taking care of them still apply

Golden barbs are pretty cool and pretty yellowish. They are very active and need 5+ in a school though.

they can be left in pairs but theyre very aggressive unless they can play with a group of their own species. fin nipping is fun to them and not many fish can take that

I was told I'd need at least a 20g for dwarf Cichlids like Rams, Apistos, etc. they need floor space for Territories ?? If they paired up I imagine a 15g would get small fast for the other fish ;)

Back
Top Bottom