Centerpiece Fish for 25 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys,
I'm finally off my German Blue Ram kick and am looking for a new centerpiece fish for my 25 gal planted tank. I've considered Gouramis but they're a little boring lol....I have natural sand substrate. Any ideas?

Stock:
5× kuhli loaches
6x neons
6x harlequin rasboras
1 clown pleco
A bunch of Malaysian trumpet snails

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think you need a "centerpiece". They are fish, not decor. Very few fish like to be kept singly. I understand the concept. I think a stunning group of fish can also be the Feature Attraction [emoji6]

Add more Neons. Bigger groups are great.

I'm planning large schools in my tank.

You might get away with a single Angel....but get a baby. The theory is if they grow up with the neons they may not see them as food. In the wild Angels eat neons as part of their diet. But in tanks, if the angels are raised with them and kept well fed, even though the neons may fit in the mouth of adult Angels, they may not eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My centerpiece tends to be a plant or a great piece of wood.

My newest project my 55g will feature a large school of Corydoras sterbai.
a2562a2ef488e3db3a6f895c3cb5dd0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks, I definitely don't think of my fish as decor, I just want something a little bigger than the neons and I don't like big schools all that much. I do love angels and I've had some in this tank with neons...nothing bad ever happened there, so I'd consider that. I guess I just see angels all the time and I want something more unique...if that makes sense

I love the corie! I have loaches and a pleco so I'm pretty stocked as far as bottom feeders go

What happened to the ram? Some of the more.desired pretties require a little more from the keeper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The male ram bullied the female to death and then he died soon after....the male's death seemed like a combo of stress from not having the girl around and then I switched from gravel to sand substrate and I think that stressed him out too because I had a little bit of a mini cycle, but all the other fish are fine. I just feel like I'm not meant to keep rams!

Do you think I should get an angel because they're hardier?

I just got a Koi angel for my tank. I have never had one before but I got bitten by the bug, and have been researching for a couple of months. He is about quarter size, and has been with me since last Teusday. I am finding his personality similar to a Betta in being friendly , curious, and intelligent . Should have gotten one years ago. At the moment he is in with neons and embers and a ABN pleco. in a twenty. But will be moving to a 29 with Harlequins, cherry barbs, 3 cory cats and two plecos in a 29 as I am closing two 10 gal and have a 29 to set up. I named him or her Sparky. Alison

If you want something unique, you could maybe look into a peppermint crocodile fish. They're cool and are in the same group of fish as bettas and gouramis.

Thanks guys! Maybe I'll give angels another try, I did love my last one. And I'll see if my lfs has any peppermint crocodile fish, they look pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom