Centerpiece fish with ember tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M1k3y_gumi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been keeping a school of ember tetras in a heavily planted10 gal but their number have dwindled over the years. Now I'm only left with two and I plan on adding several to get back my school.

With this new revamp, I'm hoping this time to find a nice small centerpiece fish that will do well alone with the embers which I am planing on bumping up to 7 or 10.

Seeing as the embers are reddish, I'm hoping to find a centerpiece fish that is blue or neon.

So far I've considered, blue bettas, electric blue ram, and sparkling gourami(trichopsis pumila) but am unsure.

I want enough room to have enough embers that they will school properly which limits me in how big of a centerpiece fish I can have.

I know this is probably pretty difficult to do given the 10 gal limit which is why I ended up without a centerpiece fish the first time around but any +1's or new suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

You could go with a Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis Pumila). It has been a while since I have done extensive research on them but from what I remember they don't need to school.

You could go with a Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis Pumila). It has been a while since I have done extensive research on them but from what I remember they don't need to school.

Yea I really like how they look but most people seem to have them in a species bio-tope tank so I don't know how they do with other fish.

I know they like floating plants and are apparently more on the timid side.
I don't have any floating plants and it would be one on its own so my concern is that it wouldn't feel safe enough to come out.

While they don't school, I get the feel that they are happier or more active or colorful in groups? Not sure about this.

TY for the +1 though; they are really cool fish!

Maybe some kind of male Killifish.

Ahh yes!

Do you know how their temperament is alone? I usually hear about them in pairs or groups.

Example: for clown killifish Seriously fish says small tetras make good tank mates but then go on to suggest 8-10 killies so that the will be less shy and behave more interestingly.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epiplatys-annulatus/

Also, any suggestions for small and blu-ish varieties?

Thanks!

Oh yea, and as a possible plus, if this fish would help my embers school more tightly? haha

Ahh yes!

Do you know how their temperament is alone? I usually hear about them in pairs or groups.

Example: for clown killifish Seriously fish says small tetras make good tank mates but then go on to suggest 8-10 killies so that the will be less shy and behave more interestingly.
Epiplatys annulatus – Clown Killifish (Haplochilus annulatus, Pseudepiplatys annulatus) — Seriously Fish

Also, any suggestions for small and blu-ish varieties?

Thanks!

Oh yea, and as a possible plus, if this fish would help my embers school more tightly? haha

Blue paradise killifish. They are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Dwarf or sparkling gourami would be cool. Peacock Gudgeons would also be a good one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd be cautious with the blue paradisefish(macropodus operularis). I've heard that like bettas, some specimens won't be good additions to a community tank.

I'd be cautious with the blue paradisefish(macropodus operularis). I've heard that like bettas, some specimens won't be good additions to a community tank.

I wasn't suggesting a blue paradisefish, I was suggesting a blue paradise KILLIfish (sorry if this comes off as rude)

Nvm anyway, they're too big and aggressive for a 10 gallon.

Badis badis can be blue and dont get big, plus they benefit from small dither fish like embers.

Dwarf or sparkling gourami would be cool. Peacock Gudgeons would also be a good one.

So peacock gudgeons are fine in a 10 gal with 8 ish embers? I was worried they might be too big but I don't actually know.

Badis badis can be blue and dont get big, plus they benefit from small dither fish like embers.

Places like seriouslyfish say pairs or a male with many females but don't talk much about what they're like alone but is that not an issue?

Its like that with the other fish here too haha. Not much info on what they're like when they don't really have buddies.

Thanks!

I'd do it, just keep it clean in there..

Thanks for the input!

I agree. It'll probably work out if i stay on top of my pwc and the plants ought to help too!

I'm leaning towards the peacock gudgeon but I'll post update pics once I get my fish.

Back
Top Bottom