Centerpiece fishy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great!! I want one so bad!
Just be careful. I remember HN1 saying that he has seen peacock eels eat some startling large fish. I know they have little mouths, but they seem to sometimes surpirse people with what they can fit in there. :) But, its a good sign that it hasn't bothered your glowlights or anything.

absolutangel04 said:
Just be careful. I remember HN1 saying that he has seen peacock eels eat some startling large fish. I know they have little mouths, but they seem to sometimes surpirse people with what they can fit in there. :) But, its a good sign that it hasn't bothered your glowlights or anything.

Ya, but i think HN was spaeaking of striped peacocks. Larger mouths i think. Doesnt matter though, i will still be careful!!

Would an apisto do well in my tank? Are they hardy? Do they swim at the bottom or top spectrum of the tank? 40 gallon planted with
1peacock eel
1featherfin cat
7 glolight tetras
1 angel
5 hatchets

absolutangel04 said:
Nope. IMO, definitely not. They stay low in the tank like a ram.

Poop! Lol haha what about a gourami of types? SM has a croaking gourami that looks SWEET!

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but I wouldn't put the little croaker in with your current fish. IMO, they are a bit shy, so I don't think one would be thrilled about your other fish like the active hatchets, the potentially bossy angel and the eventually aggressive featherfin. JMO. But, if you interested in the croaker, I suggest you ask severum mama/HN1 and tell them the current inhabitants of your tank and see what they say. They know more about that particular fish than I do. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but I wouldn't put the little croaker in with your current fish. IMO, they are a bit shy, so I don't think one would be thrilled about your other fish like the active hatchets, the potentially bossy angel and the eventually aggressive featherfin. JMO. But, if you interested in the croaker, I suggest you ask severum mama/HN1 and tell them the current inhabitants of your tank and see what they say. They know more about that particular fish than I do. :)

Yes, very good idea! You give some great advice absolut

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO croaking gouramis are shy. They wouldn't do well with boisterous angels and active hatchets.

Hmm okay..ill keep searching. Are there any rams or apistos that dont stay at the bottom?

absolutangel04 said:
No. Not that I know of.

Thanks! I guess i will have to steer clear of all the most colorful fish! ;( haha its worth it though, to keep my eel :) any other types of gouramis to shoot for that arent sickness prone like DG's, and arent huge and semi aggressive like golds and opalines? Honeys? Sunsets?

Gboy66 said:
Thanks! I guess i will have to steer clear of all the most colorful fish! ;( haha its worth it though, to keep my eel :) any other types of gouramis to shoot for that arent sickness prone like DG's, and arent huge and semi aggressive like golds and opalines? Honeys? Sunsets?

Sunset gouramis are a variant of DGs, so they're just as likely to get sick.

Honey gouramis could be a nice choice IMO. I love mine and they are hardy and don't bother anyone in the tank (unless someone bothers them).

If you're still looking, paradise fish, pearl gouramis, African Butterfly cichlids, or a pencil fish would be a nice centerpiece IMO.

I truthfully think you are pretty well stocked as it is. Honeys are less disease ridden the dg. I do not know of a species called sunset gouramis, the only sunsets gouramis I have ever personally seen are just a color variant of the dg. But, maybe I missed something. Lol, I see a lot of gouramis labeled with random common names instead of latin names, so they can be confusing. Anyhow, if you wanted to try a honey, you could, but there is not guarantee that it will co-exist with the angel, or that it won't get into disputes with your featherfin someday. Having the featherfin in there makes it a real gamble to add more fish because he might get really moody when he grows up a little. Sometimes, fish get even more territorial than normal when they are in smaller than ideal environments. Personally, I wouldn't recommend keeping a featherfin in a 40b at all, but I know you said you thought about that already. Its up to you what you want to do. If you are going to try to add a gourami, I think a honey would be your safest bet. :)
Do you guys have a test kit to watch your water parameters? Just curiuos because that is a heavy indicator on whether or not you should consider ading more stock. :)

paradisefish is a good idea :)

img_1641012_0_3f2b4ffda72886107a5d21d41a87bdfb.jpg

@bruins, I do not know of any pencil fish that would be happy alone. Also, I think pearls would be too shy like the croaking gourami.

Very true absolut.

Also, sorry if I missed it in the thread, but what is your current stock? I know you have an angel, seven glow light tetras and hatchets, anything else?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Very true absolut.

Also, sorry if I missed it in the thread, but what is your current stock? I know you have an angel, seven glow light tetras and hatchets, anything else?

Peacock eel and...:/ featherfin catfish :/ he is really messing with stock oppurtunitys!! Haha
And absolut, i agree, phineas (featherfin) was probably a bad choice..

Back
Top Bottom