Ceramic clay for making aquarium rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kostasonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all !!

I have a new aquarium of 110L and I am still in the phase of cycling it. My quastions have to do with rocks.

(1)
I have read in many manuals this thing of "aqua fortis" (it´s actually nitric acid). It´s the chemical that if you throw it on the rock and it creates bubbles, the rock is not good for the aquarium. I collected some rocks and made the test. Many of them created really many bubbles but one or two just created tiny bubbles that went out 1 or 2 per second. Is it ok or should someone be really strict??

(2)
In the same manuals I have read that every ceramic material is ok for the aquarium. There are some clays sold in school material shops. It is sold wet in a bag and you can give to it the shape you want before you let it dry or even put it in the oven to dry it faster. Does anybody know what I´m talking about and if these products are ok for the aquarium? Is there anything this clay should not contain??

(3)
Any other suggestions about rocks???

Thanx!!!!!!
:roll:

I've wondered the same. I was thinking just plain-old red sculpting ceramic much like you've described.

Also, what about Sculpey (modeler's) clay? Is that toxic in any way to the fish?

kostasonia said:
It is sold wet in a bag and you can give to it the shape you want before you let it dry or even put it in the oven to dry it faster. Does anybody know what I´m talking about and if these products are ok for the aquarium? Is there anything this clay should not contain??

umm you cant just let clay sit out and dry, or even put it in a oven (unless of course your oven can heat up to 2000 degrees fahrenheit) you will need a kiln. i took sculture and ceramics class last semester, and if your not using at least earthenware, it must be pretty crappy clay. im not 100% sure what you would be using, but it might slowly dissolve into the fish tank.

any clay that is human safe is fish safe, same with the glazes

Yeah... I´m also a bit sceptic about really introducing a clay like this in the aquarium. In any case I think I will buy a product like this and put it in water for a week or so to see what happens. Maybe if I make tests to the water and everything seems ok its good.

I thought to use it because it´s really comfortable to make rocks in the shape you want, ideal to create a base for some plants that don´t really get planted in the sand or even kind of connect other rocks instead of putting silicon. It would be a very useful material...:)

Those pottery caves look good to me also. I make my own as I have a kiln. I've been thinking of selling some also. I've made rocks to attach anubias too as well as making a ceramic tree (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12164&cat=500&ppuser=13767). I'd only recommend kiln fired ceramics with food save glazes (or unglazed as those ceramic caves are).

I wouldn't use the stuff you can get in a craft store. Once it is wet again I'm fairly certain it would break down.

And what about aquarium friendly varnish? Does anybody know if it can be applied to any surface? Anybody used it??

Yeah..I guess that if its not kiln dry its not so safe..

joannde said:
Those pottery caves look good to me also. I make my own as I have a kiln. I've been thinking of selling some also. I've made rocks to attach anubias too as well as making a ceramic tree

s2006_0628_DSCF0015.JPG

I'd only recommend kiln fired ceramics with food save glazes (or unglazed as those ceramic caves are).

I wouldn't use the stuff you can get in a craft store. Once it is wet again I'm fairly certain it would break down.

Holy Crap joan...........I love that tree!!!
DO you have any better pictures?.........I think i want one!!

Yea, does anyone know if any glazes are aqua friendly?

As well as painted but unglazed surfaces?

My uncle gave me some really cool clay boats when i was younger, just found 'em. Or at least the painted one. He has a kiln and I'm sure the clay is water-safe, I've had an unglazed/unpainted boat in my 30 gal. for years.

LOL Thanks Glitch - I just posted a full tank shot that shows the tree a little clearer - its in the center of the tank
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12236&limit=recent

jbarr - as far as glazes, any food safe glaze will be fine in your tank. If you're glazing the item yourself (and baking it in a kiln) you should look for glazes with an AP rating (ratings are given by the ACMI - Art and Creative Materials Institute). I'm not sure about paints.

hc8719 said:
wait you have your own kiln? how much did that cost?

Its a small portable kiln, 1 cubic foot. Cost $850. Costs about $20 to run it each firing. Ceramics isn't a cheap hobby LOL

Back
Top Bottom