Ceramic Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone use the ceramic filter media (rings) in a HOB filter? Do you still need to use a sponge or something with them?

Yea a sponge + the ceramic rings are PERFECT for benficial bacteria. Dont replace the ceramic media even though it might say replace every 3 months, you will be removing so much beneficial bacteria! They are really helpful and keep ammonia and nirites down. Good luck! :)

I have ceramics. It can't catch waste from the water, so I have a sponge or filter pad in my filter.

Not me. I ditch them and use two sponges. Double the filtration and more than enough area for bacteria to grow.

So the ceramic media that's comes with the AC 110 isn't needed and neither is the carbon bag. So just the sponge is a keeper? And why is the AC 110 so highly recommended if we're throwing away 2 of the 3 means of filtration it comes with?

I still fairly new so I'm trying to understand.

I use all three the sponge, the carbon, and the ceramic. They all will store beneficial bacteria. The carbon is to absorb smells and discoloration. The ceramic is specifically designed to give bacteria a place to hang on to. The only thing I don't suggest is the ammonia reducing stuff. Aka the small white rocks. The ammonia should be reduced by the bacteria.

A ton of people argue about this filter but to tell you the truth every aquarium setup is different. The three working together sponge, carbon and ceramic cover the widest spectrum of filtration. Therefore the filter can function on different setups. It functions depending on what is needed for that specific setup. Weather it be a messy fish like gold fish where there is odor and left over food or a cleaner fish like a tetra. That's why they designed it with different filter aspects. Now you know

Fishkeeper88 said:
I use all three the sponge, the carbon, and the ceramic. They all will store beneficial bacteria. The carbon is to absorb smells and discoloration. The ceramic is specifically designed to give bacteria a place to hang on to. The only thing I don't suggest is the ammonia reducing stuff. Aka the small white rocks. The ammonia should be reduced by the bacteria.

A ton of people argue about this filter but to tell you the truth every aquarium setup is different. The three working together sponge, carbon and ceramic cover the widest spectrum of filtration. Therefore the filter can function on different setups. It functions depending on what is needed for that specific setup. Weather it be a messy fish like gold fish where there is odor and left over food or a cleaner fish like a tetra. That's why they designed it with different filter aspects. Now you know

Thanks or that, I was a little confused. I also use all three. I did set one up with that ammonia remover but quickly removed it and but back the carbon.

Also another wonderful tip. When replacing filter media you should remember to only change one at a time. So one week change the carbon, then the next week change or rinse the sponge. That way you don't have to recycle the aquarium. Also don't change the ceramic unless it is deteriorating. Again the carbon should be changed only once a month.

Yea a sponge + the ceramic rings are PERFECT for benficial bacteria. Dont replace the ceramic media even though it might say replace every 3 months, you will be removing so much beneficial bacteria! They are really helpful and keep ammonia and nirites down. Good luck! :)

Do you rinse these in aquarium water or just leave them alone? What sponge do you use?

Yea I rinse the sponge in aquarium water every 2 weeks and every 6 months, I cut theold sponge in half and add half of a new sponge, to seed the new sponge. I use aquaclear foam inserts for my AC 110 filter

All filters should have at least two stages (mechanical and biological). And usually mechanical is before biological in the order that water passes through. I only use ceramic media. I never have a problem with it, although sometimes it gets a little gunky and is hard to clean.

Back
Top Bottom