Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some big changes are underway with my tanks! Any comments or suggestions will be welcome and appreciated.

In my 58 gal livingroom show tank, the last remaining serpae tetra went belly up this weekend. :( The water params are perfect and all the fish are in good health, so I assume he died of natural causes. With 6 black phantoms, five zebra danios, and 5 albino bronze corys, this tank is understocked. I’m debating whether I should put some rams in there or just get a few more schools of tetras and rasboras. I’m making a Southwest theme in this tank – lots of sandstone, some resin cow skulls, some cholla wood, and a few low, bushy, plastic plants for cover. I’ve even seen some plastic cacti for use in reptile tanks!

The 7 gal bowfront in the bathroom contains one cory melanistius, a snail and a male betta. I know the cory is lonely and need some friends, so I am looking for two more melanistius. I’m planning to remove the betta since the bowfront tank really does not show him off very well. Then I’m going to put in some tall, plastic plants and some resin driftwood. I’m thinking of getting a few small, colorful fish like glowlight tetras or fancy guppies.

I just purchased a new 15 gal tank for the bedroom. I’m going to divide it into thirds and keep three bettas and lots of corys in it. I’m also considering fancy guppies since I’ve heard that betas love guppy fry. It will be heavily planted with hard-to-kill plants like java moss and java fern.

I recently acquired a beautiful turquoise halfmoon betta at auction. His name is ‘Moe’ (I’m a huge Three Stooges fan). The cobalt blue betta in the 7 gal bowfront is currently named ’Rocky’ after my brother's long deceased betta. Unfortunately, he has a tendency to chase the sinking pellets meant for the cory down to the bottom and crash unceremoniously into the gravel. :roll: Not very becoming of a heavyweight champ if you ask me - much more stooge-like. So, I re-named him ‘Larry’. Once this tank is set up, I will be on the lookout for a reddish betta who will be named ‘Curly’.

Right now, the kitchen is the only tankless room in the apartment, although I usually have canned tuna in the cupboard and salmon filet in the freezer.
:D

*grin*

Glad to hear Moe is doing well! He really is a pretty baby.

Turn and face the strain....

Yeah, that'd rock if you made it into a Southwest theme. Does the cholla wood sink? That stuff is really cool. I should have picked up some of it when I was down at the Biosphere a couple of summers ago. Shame! I've seen it for sale online a few times on ebay if you don't know where to get it, btw.

Time may change me, but I can't change time...

Snake-like loaches would look cool in a desert aquarium. *grin*

Only question is whether they would compete with or otherwise harass the five corys already there? The tank bottom is 36 in x 18 in and I offer sinking pellets daily. I've heard that some loaches can be inquisitive to the point of being annoying.

Would rams or apistos play nice with tetras and danios?
If necessary, I could move the tetras to the 7 gal bowfront which will be empty shortly, but the danios really need the open space of the 58 gal tank.

I don't know how the danios would act with the rams or apistos. Neither the rams or apistos will bother the danios or tetras. Khuli loaches are PEACEFUL.

tank

yeah, khuli loaches are nice... one of my favorites. I've kept one with otos and guppies and they all got along real well. By the way QTOFFER, did you ever get that coconut shell? If not, I wonder where it could have gone... let me know either way. A fish tank in the bathroom??? I'd be afraid I'd ignore it when I wasn't in there, and when I was in there, I'd spend too much time in there and people would wonder... :lol: Or one of the fish would see the toilet "all drains lead to the ocean" and make a jump for it...

QTOFFER, I think the 15 gallon divided betta tank would be nice! Would you put 3 cories per division? Make sure to post pics! Of course, you're probably taking all the pics you can with your new Canon camera! You say the kitchen is your only room without tanks -- my kitchen is the only room with tanks!

"Time may change me, but I can't change time..." Madasafish, are you even old enough to know that song? :wink: :lol:

Technically, no... I'm not! :wink:

But that doesn't stop me from listening to Davis, Monk and Ellington. Or for that matter Purcell, Beethoven and Brahms! :roll:

I built a pine stand for my new 15 gal betta tank and installed two dividers. This weekend, I set up the filtration (two Hydrosponge-1 filters) and filled the tank. It has a 100 W heater, 1.5 inches of river pebble substrate, and a 20W fluorescent light. I need lots of live java moss and java fern. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to move in Moe Betta from the quarrantine tank and Larry Betta from the 7 gal bowfront.

I purchased a red crowntail (Curley Betta) this weekend and currently have him in a temporary 1 gal Q-tank. He will go into the 10 gal Q-tank very shortly. He still has beautiful color, but his fins are clamped down and he's on a hunger strike. I think he's still quite peeved about the bumpy ride home from the lfs. I'm sure he will come around when he sees the 10 gal tank I have waiting for him!

Sometime this week, I'm going to move some plastic plants and a piece of resin driftwood from my 58 gal show tank to the 7 gal bowfront which will house a very lonely cory. I still haven't decided what I am going to put in there with him - perhaps some glowlight tetras and another small cory?

Meanwhile, I am going to do some major redecorating in my big tank. The silk plants will go as will most of the plastic ones. This tank will finally take on a desert Southwest flavor when I add the 50 pounds of petrified wood I bought. Also destined for this tank is some cholla wood, a Navajo hogan that Millipede made for me, and a newly acquired aquarium decoration shaped like a pueblo dwelling. I need to add some more fish too, since I only have a school of black phantoms, a school of zebra danios, and a shoal of corys in there.

I'm really excited about these changes! Some pics and more updates to follow!

Sometime this week, I'm going to move some plastic plants and a piece of resin driftwood from my 58 gal show tank to the 7 gal bowfront which will house a very lonely cory. I still haven't decided what I am going to put in there with him - perhaps some glowlight tetras and another small cory?
I love Badis badis--if you can find them, give them a try!

:D Can't wait to see some pics QTOFFER. I'd put some killifish in that 7g. I know you can pick them up at auction at the GCAS.

Hmmm..killifish. Brian, I'll have to take a look at some of those at the GCAS meeting. I'm pretty open-minded about that 7 gal tank and I'm hoping to pick up some new fish for it next week.

I posted some pics of Moe, Larry, and Curly in my gallery along with a few shots of their divided 15 gal tank and the DIY stand I built.

This morning, I moved Moe and Larry into adjacent compartments in the 15 gal. They immediately started flaring at each other. *"C'mon, lemme at 'im! I'll moider da bum!"* That went on for about 15 min until they grew tired of it. Then they both surfaced and stared at me intently until I fed them. Aah - all is well in bettaland. 8)

Meanwhile, Curly was transferred from his pee cup to the now-vacant, but fully cycled 10 gal Q-tank. His fins and demeanor immediately perked up just as I suspected they would. Tonite, I'll see if he will accept some food. He will stay in QT for 3 weeks before moving to the third compartment in the 15 gal.

Back
Top Bottom