chance to get a few spotted pictus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrangelyNormal

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have the chance to get a few spotted pictus. 2-3. They will be babies and quarantined. I have a 90 gallon tank with one featherfin, 6 boesemani rainbows and 6 Diamond tetras. I will be getting another filter as well (fx6 or fx5).

If I were to get the pictus, will the featherfin be ok with the other bottom feeders around? Should I watch for tension/scrap the deal? I love my featherfin and want to do right by him, I've had him almost 3 years and he's around 6-8 inches. Thanks in advance.

Hello Strangely,
I don't know what a feather fin is so I can not help you there.I've been thinking about getting some Picus cats for my new set up.My heads all over the place , been watching u tube vids and trolling around here all ways want to drive 30 miles to the fish store.The new tank has rekindled a old flame.
Wish you the best in your choice

It's a fish that is from a lake in Africa but has a wide variety of water parameters. It's also a bottom feeder ( Featherfin squeaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) but can be territorial/rough on other bottom feeders. I want to just ensure everyone's safety.

You as well. Pictus can eat smaller fish and generally need a footprint on the larger side because they're a bit zoomy.

I'm running a 125 with fou r Dennison barbs two Plecos and Rafael cat.I was supposed to take down the old 55 but just won't do.it's still going with two power heads gravel and the heater is unplugged it's calling out for inhabitants
I'm going to check out your reference , thank you

Hey back again
That is a awsome.fish , thanks for the link.
From what I read , seems he might not like Picus cats doing there thing in his tank.
I hope you can hand feed him and scratch his belly,that would be groove

Would prefer someone with some experience. I've heard they can go together in a large tank.

Feather fins from my previous readings (when I wanted an Oscar at one point :D ) are quite territorial. Having another bottom feeder in the tank could disrupt his/her territory and cause disputes. Over all I think it will be fine though.

A note about pictus: don't ever touch them with your bare hand. They have a natural defense system on their skin that will make your hand swell up like a bee sting. If it does happen, things like antibiotic ointments can bring down the swelling. It doesn't really hurt though. I learned the hard way one time hen I first got mine.

Caleb

I'm just worried for my featherfin and their defense system. I don't want them to test it on him. I got a bad batch of fish that introduced illness into my tank even after a quarantine so I'm so paranoid now to get any new fish haha. This synodontis was and always will be my favorite so I don't want to stress him out or endanger him.

Thanks for the help. Any other catfish that might go better with him? Or just skip it and give him the bottom?

I love my featherfin as you can tell :D

Feather fins from my previous readings (when I wanted an Oscar at one point :D ) are quite territorial. Having another bottom feeder in the tank could disrupt his/her territory and cause disputes. Over all I think it will be fine though.

A note about pictus: don't ever touch them with your bare hand. They have a natural defense system on their skin that will make your hand swell up like a bee sting. If it does happen, things like antibiotic ointments can bring down the swelling. It doesn't really hurt though. I learned the hard way one time hen I first got mine.

Caleb

Actually you have watch for their barbs on the fins. The skin is ok to touch.

I used to own pictus cats. In a nutshell they're very active especially at night. They love caves to hide in during the day.

They will eat whatever can fit in their mouths. I learned this the hard way lol

I don't see a problem with the featherfin as long as the cats have they're own space and hidey holes.

Just my opinion as there are always exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Actually you have watch for their barbs on the fins. The skin is ok to touch.

I used to own pictus cats. In a nutshell they're very active especially at night. They love caves to hide in during the day.

They will eat whatever can fit in their mouths. I learned this the hard way lol

I don't see a problem with the featherfin as long as the cats have they're own space and hidey holes.

Just my opinion as there are always exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I say just don't touch it because they are very active fish. That would be quite difficult not to touch the barbels and stuff lol.

Caleb

Does your syno seem aggressive towards any other fish if they get near his territory?

I've got a syno. Eupterus too and he really doesn't bother anyone. He's made his home in the piece of driftwood and only really goes after someone if there's food. 99% of the time he just minds his own business. I have mine in a 150 though with no other bottom feeders. The only other fish I have that inhabits the same level of the tank is my bichir, but they never interact with one another.

I would say if your syno isn't overly boisterous and aggressive towards other fish that may enter his territory and isn't constantly out cruising the bottom then go for it. Provide new hiding places for the pictus on the opposite end of the tank and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

He was actually kept with baby corydoras for a while. He wasn't hard on them at all. I'll think about the pictus. If anyone has any other input please feel free.

Back
Top Bottom