chances of my 2 swordtails mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolkidthatlike

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 swordtails ( 1 male 1 female ) and i was wondering what the chances of them mating would be, and when?

The chances of livebearers mating is basically 99.9%! LOL i couldnt stop mine from breeding!

you might want to get that female some more company ... 1 to 1 ratio on live bearers usually results in high stress for the poor female, who receives all the males attention

1:3 would be a more ideal group.

Spot on justDIY.
The 1 to 1 ratio is to stressful for the female, you need more females. when a livebearing female is fertilized by the male she only uses what is needed and stores the rest. When she gives birth she re-fertilizes herself and only needs the male when she runs out. So by putting other females in the tank it draws his attentions away from her and gives her a rest.
As DIY said a 1 to 3 ratio would be better

well, i wish that i could do a 1:3 but i have no more room in my tank. I am a little cramped as it is. Is there still a good chance of them mating?

there is a good chance of the female dying from too much stress

she may never feel comfortable enough to spawn if the male is harrasing her all the time.

if the male and female have been in the same tank for a few weeks, remove the male to another tank, and then the female might spawn for you once she feels less threatened.

Back
Top Bottom